X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 standard 4 pass testing running for > 24 hours with Ryzen 2700X

Hello,

I have been running Memtest86 in an attempt to test the following system:
    Ryzen 2700X + ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VII (WIFI) + Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB kit.

The Memtest86 runs sometimes take 14.5 hours, sometimes take 12.5 hours sometimes, in the latest run, are taking over 24 hours.
    Is this normal or is it a bug?

All cores are active and multithreading is on.
    CPU is running at 4GHz.
    RAM tested at 2133/3000/3150MHz.
    Memtest86 shows the memory is passing the test with no errrors.
    The runtimes seem ridiculous though.

CPU: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x
    Motherboard: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards...II-HERO-WI-FI/
    Memory: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...4GX4M4C3200C16

Thanks.

If you are testing 64GB of RAM, then it will take a while.
    Expect around 2 - 3 hours per 16GB. But it depends on the CPU, the RAM speed, the multi-threading settings, cache settings and if any errors are found.

But the duration for 4 passes should be the same each time. Maybe CPU is overheating an throttling. Or maybe you are changing the settings from one run to the next.

If you need a quicker turn around, just do 2 passes.

Comment

Hello,

The CPU frequency was constant and the CPU is watercooled and running at reasonable temperature. It is not throttling.
      2 - 3 hours per 16GB is what I am seeing for most runs on the Ryzen PC.
      It is just sometimes some runs take over 24 hours.
      I was wondering if there is a known bug with running Ryzen 2700x which has 8 core 16 threads.
      An Intel i7-4790k (4 core 8 thread) can verify 32GB of DDR3 RAM with same version of Memetest86 much faster than on the Ryzen machine and both CPU's are running at similar clock speed.

I have screenshots of results if you wish to see a comparison.

I think Memtest86 is an essential tool to use and I am very grateful it is available. I am not complaining about the software I am just asking if you have noticed performance/ runtime difference between intel and AMD CPU's?

It may just be that an intel optimized compiler is used to compile the software?

Thanks anyhow.

Bye.

Comment

Intel's CPUs have faster memory management units. But obviously 32GB will test much faster than 64GB.
        There are no known bugs with Ryzen based CPUs (except some temperature report offset issues in older releases).

Comment

Thanks - sure I understand that 32GB should be faster to test than 64GB, but I am seeing >24 hour runtime on Ryzen 2700X with 64GB versus a few hours on Intel machines with 32GB.
          I will post some more data to compare the 3 platforms running MemTest86 with 32GB and all processors running at the same frequency as soon as I can.
          Thanks again.

Comment

Might not be the case here but some motherboards have UEFI BIOS bugs which prevents them from running in multi-threaded mode. There is a blacklist of bad motherboards in the software and also a testing process when MemTest86 boots. So maybe sometimes it isn't in multi-threaded mode?

Single threaded mode is a lot slower.

Comment

Working...
            X