Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test results, 24 errors...

Hi there, I hope someone can help...

Ive been having software crash on me quite a few times recently (I'm a photographer, so software like Lightroom/Photoshop). I thought it might be a memory issue and so found/downloaded Memtest, which found 24 errors (on the first 'pass'... I had to stop the test as needed to use the machine again!) I took a picture on my phone, as I wasn't able to stop the test and export any results. (attached).Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0503.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	35081

The memory installed is 4x4Gb ... http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengeance/vengeance-low-profile-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cml16gx3m4a1600c9.html

And the motherboard is a MSI P67A-GD53(B3)

I assume this test result means I have a faulty module, and I need to find/replace the correct module? Either this, or... (because its been a while since I took delivery of this machine) perhaps it would be better to replace all the memory?

Or perhaps its a problem with the board? Sorry, this really isn't a strong point for me... if anyone can offer any advice it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben.

Yes, it looks like a real error.

Next step is to work out which model is at fault and replace it.

So you might want to repeat the test with 2 of the 4 modules installed. Then repeat with the other 2.

Should be no need to replace all 4 modules.

Comment

Ok, ran the test overnight, and it came up with quite a few errors! ...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	img505.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	34824

I think it might be best to just replace all the memory. There are 4 slots, but was thinking of replacing with 2x8gb's, leaving me the option to upgrade to 32 in the future... is that ok, or should all slots be used?

The motherboard memory spec is...
      • Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/2133*(OC) DRAM, 32GB Max
      - Supports 1GB/ 2GB/ 4GB/ 8GB DRAM size
      - Supports Dual channel mode

I was considering this...
      http://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-(2x8gb)-corsair-ddr3-dominator-platinum-pc3-14900-(1866)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-10-11-10-30-dhx

Would this drop in ok? it says '1866', but that isnt mentioned in the board spec, and it shows 1600/2133 as overclocked, would that mean I have to configure in some way? But I dont see any memory rated at 1066/1333?

Sorry, I know asking is a bit cheeky, really appreciate your time!

Thanks, Ben.

Comment

Should work OK. But for some motherboards they publish memory compatibility lists. So check for such a list. The compatibility lists doesn't mean other RAM won't work, but the risk of issues is slightly reduced is you pick from their list of tested RAM.

Often the lists are way out of date however.

Comment

Many thanks David, your help is really appreciated. I think I will check the choice with the company before I purchase it, that way... they will have said its ok, and I shouldnt have any problems returning it if so!

When I get/install the new memory, should I test again? and should the memory be 110% error free? or will memory always have some small errors?

Thanks again!

Comment

There should be zero errors.
            Even a small error can play havoc with a PC.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
              There should be zero errors.
              Even a small error can play havoc with a PC.
              Many thanks, I received replacement memory yesterday and tested overnight... 0 errors.

Comment

Working...
              X