Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MemTest Fails Before Starting

Hi folks,

I created my bootable USB. I booted to the drive and Memtest comes up. I choose option 1, and then it bluescreens and reboots. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks for any help!!
    James

What version of MemTest are you using?
    What are the hardware specs of the machine?
    Is it possible the RAM is faulty (or CPU / motherboard) to such a degree that the test can't even start?

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      What version of MemTest are you using?
      What are the hardware specs of the machine?
      Is it possible the RAM is faulty (or CPU / motherboard) to such a degree that the test can't even start?
      Hi David. I have 4.3.1. I'm trying to run it on a Dell E510 with 2 GB of RAM and Pent 4 3.00 GHZ processor.

I don't think the memory is the problem because I tried out memtest86+ and it scanned fine with 0 errors. Since I was successful with that test software, I don't need to use memtest86 now, I suppose.

Thanks anyway!

Comment

Can you try MemTest V4.3.1 again, but this time select option 3) in the initial menu "Boot trace enabled".

Once this option is selected it will step slowly through the code printing debug messages on the screen, until you get to the crash. It would be good to know the last debug message displayed before the crash. If you could take a photo and post it, that would help a lot.

Comment

Here you go, mate. Thanks again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MemTest.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	34830

Comment

So it looks like it crashed when starting up the various test threads during the initialization step.

It this really an old original Pentium 4 machine? That is to say a single core P4 and not one of the slightly later P4-D's with dual core?

Because if it really is a single CPU, single core machine it shouldn't be attempting to run multiple threads.

Comment

So it looks like it crashed when starting up the various test threads during the initialization step.

It this really an old original Pentium 4 machine? That is to say a single core P4 and not one of the slightly later P4-D's with dual core?

Because if it really is a single CPU, single core machine it shouldn't be attempting to run multiple threads.
              It's a single core with hyperthreading.

Comment

We have fixed up a bug that we suspect might to provoked the crash you have seen. We don't have an identical machine to test with here, so we aren't 100% sure (but optimistic).

We think there was a bug when attempting to boot on older machines with hyperthreading. Only effects old machines, from around the early Pentium 4 era, that didn't have a MP (Multi-Processor) Spec table defined but did have both a MADT (Multiple APIC Description Table) defined and hyperthreading enabled.

Can you download V4.3.2 from our site and try it out,
                http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Comment

We have fixed up a bug that we suspect might to provoked the crash you have seen. We don't have an identical machine to test with here, so we aren't 100% sure (but optimistic).

We think there was a bug when attempting to boot on older machines with hyperthreading. Only effects old machines, from around the early Pentium 4 era, that didn't have a MP (Multi-Processor) Spec table defined but did have both a MADT (Multiple APIC Description Table) defined and hyperthreading enabled.

Can you download V4.3.2 from our site and try it out,
                  http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
                  Hi David. I'll give this a shot when I have some time. I just can't guarantee that it will be in the next day or two. Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
                  X