No announcement yet.

Memtest86 No errors on one ram stick, 143 errors on other stick during test#9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 No errors on one ram stick, 143 errors on other stick during test#9

So recently I've been coming across frequent BSOD crashes and I've been troubleshooting various different hardware, checking disks, clean installing graphics cards drivers, even a fresh install of windows. Finally I decided to do a memtest, and ultimately got over ten thousand errors, much of which were on test#5 for my normal ram configuration (2 sticks, dual channel on the slots).

First I tested each ram individually on the same slot. The first ram had no errors in all its passes, and when I put the second stick in, it gained 143 errors on test#9 on it's fourth pass. I haven't tested switching the dimm slots configuration for both, and I haven't tested the 2nd dimm slots for each individually, but what I want to know is, is this a CLEAR indicator of a bad stick? I want to be sure it's not another piece if hardware and RMA the sticks immediately.

Thank you!

Yes, assuming you are running at stock BIOS settings and not overclocking, RAM appears to be bad. I would send them back.

Comment

Hi David, thank you for the response. I just have on quick question. I've swapped the slots just to be sure, and now it passes tests with flying colors. I've ran the free trial 4 passes twice now and it's not having any issues nor crashes, so I think I'll hold off on the RMA for now. Is there an explanation for this? Perhaps reseating or cleaning the contacts? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Perhaps reseating or cleaning the contacts?
        Maybe. Or some other environmental factor (temperature, EMI). Or maybe you didn't have the sticks fully inserted for some of the tests.

Comment

Working...
        X