Memtest stops at a blank screen at boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest stops at a blank screen at boot

I created a bootable USB and set the computer to boot from USB, but when I restart it it just goes to a blank black screen with the little dash ( _ ) at the start of the screen. I can hear the HDD working hard, but nothing is happening and the red light indicating that the computer is working isn't blinking. I waited about 5-10 mins, but nothing happened, it's just stuck there.
    Any idea what the problem might be?

What version of MemTest86?
    Does your computer support UEFI BIOS?

Comment

I'm using the latest version of memtest.
      I'm not sure my MB supports UEFI, I have a pretty old one - MSU MS-7641. I don't know how to check. Certainly right now my bios mode is listed as "legacy".

Comment

I couldn't find any motherboard with that name. So I think you have the model number wrong. But check the manufacturer's web site, once you find the model number.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          I couldn't find any motherboard with that name. So I think you have the model number wrong. But check the manufacturer's web site, once you find the model number.
          Oh, geez, typo! It's MSI, not MSU. Sorry about that.

I believe that's this MB: (I got "MS-7641" from msconfig, apparently it corresponds to this model)

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/760GM-P34-FX

I'm not sure how to check whether it supports UEFI, where would that be listed?

Comment

From the screen shots I found online the 760GM-P34-FX looks like it has BIOS from 2005. Which was before UEFI.
            Which means you need to use V4 of MemTest86 as that was the last BIOS compatible release.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X