Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

network down while speed test running...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network down while speed test running...

Hello,

I just wanted to let you guys know of a strange situation that I encountered tonight. I was running memtest86 on my desktop computer and as I did my home network went down completely.

I left the memtest running as I went off to diagnose my new network issue; thinking that when it rains it really pours.

After about 15 - 20 minutes of testing I was going room to room restarting network devices. I was sitting at my desk in frustration and a bit of relief as I happened to have network back again (it had been going in and out) I glanced at the memtest which said (sleeping ... seconds ...) i assume a rest or breaking period. Then as the tests started running again my network went back down.
    I could not get internet or connected to my router 192.168.1.1.

Finally I unplugged my desktop and all network came back, which was some what a relief (except for all the thousands of errors found in my memory)

Just thought I'd let you know.

Correlation does not prove causation.

I assume this was WiFi and not Ethernet?
    Only possible explanation I can think of is,
    - Your WiFi has poor signal levels or congestion with other people on same channel.
    - Your computer is spraying our EMI from the motherboard or PSU when under load destroying whatever poor signal that you initially had.

Comment

My desktop was attached via ethernet; but i have two APs in my house one of which was about 5 ft away from me (very strong signal), while the desktop was plugged in my entire network went down, not just a single AP or anything like that.

During my network diagnostics I was about 40 ft away from this computer on the other side of the house plugged directly in with ethernet.

Just now after this I plugged my desktop back into my network, network went back down again. The whole network not just WiFi, even all the desktops that are ethernet in.

I just wanted to let you guys know what happened in my case, if it's interesting enough to look into I can provide any details or if not then so be it; I disconnected my desktop for the duration of the memtest and the memtest and my network both carried on as expected after that so, alls well that ends well I suppose.

Comment

If we get any other reports of the problem we'll look into it.

We run Memtest86 almost daily during the development process (for many years) and haven't had any problems.

Comment

Working...
        X