Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memtest running on all CPU vs single CPU among other questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest running on all CPU vs single CPU among other questions.

What is the difference when running on all vs. a single CPU? When running all CPU does Memtest86 run all test in parallel? Is All CPU faster than a single? I also have another question: Can I setup so Memtest86 runs a single pass multiple CPU and then re run another test so that it runs a single pass with a single CPU? This would be in order to time how long it takes to run a single pass on some servers with over 190GB of ram. Last question is if there is a way to automate test so we can specify which test patterns to run and for a number of loops? I notice I can pick a single CPU or single pass but not both? Scripting it might be easier. I can clarify each question if anyone can help. Thanks!

Yes tests are run in parallel when run on all CPUs and it give a faster test.

There is no way to script the tests so that you can run with all CPUs then run with a single CPU in an automated fashion. You can of course do this manually however.

In V5 there is also be a configuration file that you can use to set the initial settings for the first run.

Note that MemTest86 isn't all that good as a RAM benchmark because A) There is a test which is a fixed length (the bit fade test) and will take the same time to run regardless of performance B) Some of the tests depend a lot on the CPUs performance

For RAM benchmarking you might want to consider the Advanced memory test in PerformanceTest.

Comment

Thank you David for your reply.

Comment

Working...
      X