Garbled Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbled Screen

I've been running memtest for about 48 hours. After about 12 hours the screen turned into a garbled mess (see photo). It still seems to be running but I can't see if it's encountering errors. Can I assume because of the garbled screen that the ram failed? Thanks

Your CPU is fairly recent. Is there a reason why you are testing with a very old version of MemTest86?

We recommend testing with latest version of MemTest86. For older PCs without UEFI support, e.g. PCs with legacy BIOS, then you can use the older V4 release of MemTest86, the current V4 release is V4.3.7.

Comment

It was the first memtest disk I came across. I'll download a newer version. Thanksy

What about the garbled screen?

Comment

Garbage on the screen indicates that the RAM test has overwritten video memory.
        Obviously not a normal situation. This can be caused by the e820 memory map being wrong.

Comment

Thanks David. I was hoping to avoid running the tests for another 48 hours because of time constraints. Can I conclude anything from the e820 memory map being wrong?

Comment

e820 memory map is only used for doing a traditional BIOS boot. So the problem might not happen in UEFI mode.

Comment

Got it. Thanks David

Comment

Working...
              X