Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"page numbers" - how to get from MemTest results? (bcdedit, Windows)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "page numbers" - how to get from MemTest results? (bcdedit, Windows)

I've used MemTest to identify an area of bad ram in my laptop - the results are shown below. Now I'm trying to plug the locations into bcdedit following these instructions in order to instruct Windows 10 not to use the bad areas.

Can anyone help me convert the MemTest addresses into the format required by bcdedit? I understand bcdedit needs a complete list of "page numbers".

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9057.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	45594

We don't have any additional information on the BCD, I agree however that post is a bit vague.

Comment

Ok...I figured it out.

The addresses identified by MemTest (1AF2EC000I and 1AF2EDFFC) have to be converted into "page numbers" by converting them to decimal format, dividing by 4096. If you don't understand hexadecimal math then just use the Excel formulas HEX2DEC() and DEC2HEX(). If the two decimal-based numbers are not adjascent, then you'll need to enter additional values to make a complete set (whole integers). Convert these back to hexadecimal format and enter them into the bcdedit command as shown below.

Run these commands into cmd.exe (as admin) and reboot. Now you can reliably use your computer without replacing the faulty memory! Note that this "fix" only applies to the current installation of Windows, and these steps have to be repeated after upgrading or reinstalling the OS.

bcdedit /set {badmemory} badmemorylist 0x1AF2EC 0x1AF2ED
      bcdedit /enum {badmemory}
      bcdedit /set badmemoryaccess no

Anyways, I hope this is helpful to some Googler out there.

Comment

Thanks for that.
        4096 is the current size of a memory page on x86 Windows machines (Win7 to Win10).

At some point in the future it might change, probably to 8K or 16K.

Comment

Working...
        X