500 errors first try , ran multiple times more and received 0 errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 errors first try , ran multiple times more and received 0 errors

So first off I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to read my post and I won’t take any longer, so let’s just get into it right now. TL;DR will be at the end for those who want the quick recap.

Relevant Specs; Asus B450 Plus MOBO, Ryzen 7 2700, Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200mhz (XMP Profile on), 1660ti, Corsair Vengeance 750M PSU

So I built my new gaming PC roughly 2 months ago. It was my first PC ever actually and when I got everything working, it was a dream come true. But nonetheless, after a month of using it I started to notice some crashing and over the course of a month or more, the crashes became more consistent and even more troublesome. My PC would get constant BSOD and for the most part, I could solve them by updating windows and checking online. But the more time passed by, the more my PC crashed. I started getting even more BSOD and each of them having a different title from IRQL NOT LESS EQUAL TO or SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION. I practically would get every BSOD you could name.

The thing that stood out the most was that the BSOD, or the most frequent ones rather, seemed to be associated with my memory. So firstly, I ran a Memory Diagnostic and no errors came back, that was a good sign right? After doing the test, mind you, I’m a pretty busy individual and don’t have much time to troubleshoot my PC, but when I do I try my best to make it work.

So I started looking into Memtest86 and evidently enough downloaded it and ran a test running my RAM at dual-channel, using slots 2 & 4. Not even 5 minutes in I got nearly 500 ERRORS! I was so lost and I had assumed that I found the culprit and could solve my problem by returning my RAM. But then, I decided to test each stick individually and run the test once more. The 1st stick, passed with 0 errors, the 2nd stick ALSO passed with 0 errors. What I did after was take one stick out and would play video games and see if it would crash with just one, my pc DID NOT crash with either stick inserted at once.

Now I’m left totally dumbfounded. I decide to run the test once more in dual-channel to see if that’s the problem. 3 and a half hours later, it passed with 0 errors. After that I was left with no clue what was going on. I plugged both RAM sticks back in and see if I would crash while playing. Sure enough, 10 minutes in, I crashed with a BSOD I can’t remember the name to which it was.

Fast forwarding today, I decided to run Memtest86 again on each stick individually on the 4th dimm slot to see if that was the problem. As of today, the test passed with 0 errors on each stick.

So TL;DR - Built my first gaming PC 2 months ago. Everything would run fine within the first month. After a while I started getting nonstop BSOD so I decided to run Memtest86. 500 errors with dual-channel, 0 errors with 1 stick individually. 0 errors testing the RAM sticks on dimm slots 2 and 4. Re-ran the test in dual-channel again and passed with 0 errors. Multiple crashes while playing with dual-channel, 0 crashes with 1 stick individually(either one).

(Side note: I’ve updated windows, drivers, bios etc. none have solved my issue) Please ask me any questions if anything else is needed. Thank you once more.

It is not unusual to get error in dual channel mode, but not in single channel mode. The timing and access patterns are different.
    This doesn't explain everything you reported above. But it might be a combination of particular slots with particular sticks.
    I assume you aren't ocerclocking the CPU or RAM. In which case I would just replace the RAM.

Comment

Working...
    X