Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using configuration file and retrieving results

Hello,

I have set up a bootable USB drive on Linux, and I want to load a custom configuration file. The instructions indicate that it should be placed in the EFI/BOOT directory, but when I mount the USB, no such directory exists. For reference, I have created the bootable USB via the command:

Code:
    dd if=memtest86-pro-usb.img of=/dev/sdc
    A followup question:
    I have configured the tests to start automatically (AUTOMODE) and reboot on completion (EXITMODE). Will the test run continually each time it is rebooted until I interrupt it? Will each power cycle have its own result output? How do I access these from the USB?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Is this with version 8?
    Is this the paid for software or the free software? The free software doesn't support configuration files.
    Report files are date time stamped & are written to the USB boot drive.

Comment

Sorry, I should have specified. This is the pro/paid version, v4.3.7. The manual with it says version 7.5?

I have run several tests through the point where the tool reports "Pass complete, press esc to exit", but I do not see any output files.

The first problem is resolved. I mistakenly thought that unmounting and remounting would let me see the new contents, but I had to physically remove the drive and plug it back in before I could access the EFI and BOOT floders.
      Last edited by onofognol; Nov-02-2019, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I have since resolved all of my issues. For the sake of others that may encounter the same problems, here is what happened.

Using the provided USB image from the paid version of memtest86 (version 7), both the free version and the paid version are present. In the particular UEFI BIOS on my Asus motherboard, the versions show up as two separate but otherwise completely indistinguishable options for boot from USB.

I had selected the free version (blue background) instead of the paid version (black background), thus none of the expected behavior of the paid version was present.

To answer the other questions I originally posted:

Results report files will be saved in the /BOOT/EFI directory on the USB.
        If configured to run automatically (AUTOMODE), each pass will save its own results file with a timestamp.
        If configured to reboot on completiong (EXITMODE), the behavior is unchanged. Each reboot will use the configuration file to determine what tests to run and will save results for each pass.

Comment

Just to add:

The old V7 release was dual boot. It booted to V4 on BIOS (blue background) and systems and V7 on UEFI systems (black background).

There were both free and paid for versions of V7, so having a black background doesn't indicate free or paid for. It indicates if the motherboard firmware was UEFI or traditional BIOS (or an emulation of BIOS).

V8 is UEFI only. So no more blue background.

Comment

Working...
          X