Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 Kit — XMP PROBLEMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 Kit — XMP PROBLEMS

Hello,

I have the following kit in my machine:

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Catego...2GX4M4C3600C18

It is tested at 3600MHz with timings 18-19-19-39 (1.35V) with XMP on.

SPD is at 2133MHz with timings 15-15-15-36 (1.2V) with XMP off (quite a big performance difference).

I was having a few blue screens when gaming with the XMP profile turned on in the BIOS, so I decided to run a memtest86, all tests, 4 passes. It seems like with XMP on test 6 [Block move, 64-byte blocks] regularly fails (no predictable pattern as to which CPU core it will fail on). However, when I turn the XMP profile off and run the same memtest86, I get 0 errors and 100% pass rate.

After reading a few forums, some people suggested manually setting the XMP timings in the BIOS (not sure why this would make a difference)? I did this, and then reran test 6 of memtest86 but it still failed.

Is there anything else I can try as I would quite like to make use of the XMP performance boost. The fact that the RAM produces 0 errors for multiple passes on SPD settings (XMP off) makes me think there isn't a problem with any of the RAM sticks. Is it possble for me to try some sort of intermediate timings?

I have attached reports for the initial tests (XMP on and XMP off) copied from the HTML report generated. And I have attached part of the full log file - I did quite a few experiments with manually setting timings etc. so I just extracted the first 1800 lines of this log as I am limited to only 3 uploads on this post.

Cheers
    Attached Files

The RAM should work at the XMP settings. So the RAM is bad. Corsair offer a lifetime warranty. So just replace them.
    Otherwise you could try and work around the problem. e.g. pick a speed between the base speed and XMP speed. Or bump up the voltage very slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      The RAM should work at the XMP settings. So the RAM is bad. Corsair offer a lifetime warranty. So just replace them.
      Otherwise you could try and work around the problem. e.g. pick a speed between the base speed and XMP speed. Or bump up the voltage very slightly.
      Thanks David

I did indeed try some of the things listed on the troubleshooting page (like bumping the voltage for XMP from 1.35V to 1.4V), but sadly the same errors in test 6 occured.

I experimented with trying to find a speed between the base speed and XMP speed, but couldn't find any timings online and actually ended up having my machine not being able to POST on some of the settings I experimented with.

I suppose replacing the kit is the way to go if they are happy to replace them under lifetime warranty. Will try contact Corsair.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
      X