Memtest results - all errors are off by one digit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest results - all errors are off by one digit

I upgraded/rebuilt my system around a week ago and have been getting some BSODs for at least once a day since. [MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (most often), PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION]
    It's also worth mentioning that these seem to occur (only and so far) while gaming though I'm not sure if that's relevant or not.

Memtest found errors in test 5,6,7 with all Errors off from Actuals by one digit (all in index #1 and #2).
    Is this the sign of faulty RAM or perhaps it's due to mainboard/BIOS faults?
    Attached Files

Most likely RAM is bad. See,
    https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Comment

Thank you, David. I guess I'll have to RMA it.

Do you think the fact that this model isn't on the board's QVL also has anything to do with it? and in your opinion should I request the same model again or play safe and look for what's on the QVL?

From my experience, QVLs are usually not up to date so I decided to get it anyway. Plus Newegg/Amazon reviews and several posts on Gigabyte own forum said they can run this kit on this exact board.
      That'll teach me to disregard QVL again. Cheers.

Comment

As you say QVL are rarely up to date.
        I have never paid much attention to them and never had a problem.
        Sometimes the RAM is just bad. Try testing 1 stick at a time.

Comment

Hey, sorry I didn’t get a chance to reply.
          I spent all day yesterday troubleshooting in almost every way I could think of. Just when I’m about to give up I had the epiphany and it turns out the problem was right in front of me, literally.

It was the XMP (Should have been first thing I tried tbh).
          I turned it off and manually set frequency, timings to its XM profile and the issue seemed to be fixed... I hoped.
          Memtest did not catch any errors and the machine hasn’t got any BSOD (so far, finger crossed).

Unfortunately, I don’t have other compatible kits with me to test if it’s BIOS or hardware problems. I guess it’s probably both.

Thank you again for your help and advice. Cheers.

Comment

XMP should just work & manual settings should never really be required (unless you want to overclock).
            So even if you have found a work-around solution, I still think there is something wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X