Is my CPU, Motherboard, or RAM bad? Memtest86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my CPU, Motherboard, or RAM bad? Memtest86

Hi there, I am new to the forums & the software for that matter, and I'd appreciate some help. I built a new PC this year, Ryzen 3900x, ASUS ROG Hero Maximus VIII (wi-fi), & 32GB(4x8GB) RGB Corsair RAM in July when Ryzen 3rd gen launched. The first set of sticks was giving me BSODs everyday several times a day, so i went back to Microcenter and thought my problems were over after exchanging the RAM.

Its been about 3+ months since exchanging the sticks and I didnt see anything off about my PC til recently. I always have my PC on and set to never sleep or lock, and I saw myself at a lock screen. I passed it off as a windows update. Was playing dead by daylight the other day and the PC completely froze on me, so I went and passed it off as a hickup or my CPU getting super hot on stock cooler. Well I checked whocrashed and saw multiple BSODs over the past few days, so I went and started investigating. I tried Windows Mem Diags and it said I had bad hardware but it was still on 45% of the test after 12 hours so I cancelled it. I downloaded Memtest since I've heard good things about it, and Ran it with my 4 sticks in. I got failing results. I went to reddit and they said I should run the testing 1 stick at a time to ensure the most accurate results. I proceeded to do so, I tested every RAM stick in Slot 1 of my motherboard, and I got one stick which was faulty.

I didn't stop there though, I wanted to be sure my motherboard slots were all okay, so I took a stick that passed the testing, and put it in slot #2. Passed testing. Went and put it in slot #3, went to sleep. When I woke up, test was still at pass 2/4, with no failures, but I found that strange, and sure enough, the whole PC was frozen. The test wasn't running, leyboard was not responding.

At this point, I'm not sure what is happening. Is it my CPU memory controller thats bad? is it the memory that had a fluke and actually passed two rounds of diags in two slots but is faulty? is it the motherboard slot that's bad?

What should I do next? Any and all help would be appreciated, I really wouldn't want to have to RMA every component to get to the bottom of this, but I just want a working machine so I'd rather get it all taken care of at once if multiple components are at fault.

Would be interesting to see the errors that you had.

Chances of having two sets of bad RAM are low. So you need to consider that the fault might be elsewhere.

1) Upgrade the BIOS, as sometimes there are bugs that result in timings and voltages being wrong
    2) Turn off XMP (i.e. run the RAM slower), to see if that helps

Comment

The photo I’m attaching was when I had all 4 sticks in but I know all 4 isn’t the best way to test.
      But when I was testing all of them 1 by 1, in slot 1, only one stick failed.
      when testing one known good stick from those tests, in slot 3, it froze pc without any errors so I couldn’t get a log of any sort.
      as for bios I am at the latest version, I’ll check the xmp settings but I believe it is turned off if I’m not mistaken

Comment

Note than on some AMD motherboards XMP is called AMP (AMD Memory Profile).

From the errors in your screen shot, I would have blamed the RAM.
        But as you have already swapped the RAM and aren't running XMP/AMP then the next suspect is the CPU. Do you have a friend with a similar system? Maybe swap the RAM and CPUs between the machines to isolate the problem.

Comment

Hey thanks a lot for your advice. I ran the testing again in the 3rd slot with the same RAM stick, all passed, however it would still cause crashes here and there. I've been getting different range of BSOD's now. Some relating to my TCPIP drivers, some to my GPU drivers, all poiting to some kind of memory corruption from the logs.
          I actually work at an electronics retailer so I went and grabbed a 3800x for testing purposes. Did not crash overnight yet, using the same ram stick in the same slot thats been causing me issues.
          I'm gonna see if this help within the next few days and I guess this will be the best way to tell if the board or CPU was at fault.
          Per say, is it possible a PSU is at fault too, if its not providing the correct voltages/overvoltages?

Comment

Working...
          X