No announcement yet.

Various errors with different memory !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various errors with different memory !!

This has been very frustrating. I bought a brand new bundle motherboard, cpu, and memory set. I got BSOD on day one, this is using 3200mhz Corsair DDR4 ram, x2 8gb, so 16gb total.

So I ran Windows memory tool, and it said errors. So I ran MemTest86 and it also found errors (3000+). I then tried each DDR module separately, and it found errors with only 1 of them. What I found was when encoding video my PC would BSOD with both modules in approx 10% through encoding, or with just the bad one in. It only was okay when only the error free 8gb module was in. Okay, no big deal, I return just the memory and get new RAM, exact same model again, this time yet again errors on 1 of the DDR modules only. I thought I can't be this unlucky. The errors were much less this time though, instead of being 3000+ it was around 200. Again, just one module, other one error free. The DDR set was sealed closed, brand new. This is all using Profile 1 XMP. It can't be the socket as obviously some of the modules show as error free in socket 1.

So then I try another set, this time the new 3rd set (again, came boxed and sealed) both were error free when tried separately, phew, I was happy, EXCEPT it would give approx 4 errors in MemTest when in dual channel mode. Much less of a problem, and no BSODs, but still errors which bothered my OCD as I would never know when a BSOD may be due to these memory errors or something else. Windows Memory Diagnostic tool did not show any errors. I still have this set kept to one side.

So I try a FOURTH set, from another company, they arrived today, and I just this moment ran a test with both modules in (not tried these separately yet) and yes, yet again more errors. But interestingly I finally decided to try without XMP (I disabled it in BIOS), and it seems it is passing okay without that enabled. So for some reason, my Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite motherboard or Ryzen 2600x CPU or PSU must be causing something, surely. This memory is listed on their compatibility chart for dual channel, it was also the memory model that came installed from a professional computer company, so they wouldn't use it if not.

I also found out the company I sent the first set of memory back to have told me they don't detect any errors, so, it must be something I am doing (unless they are lying). Given it was a pre-made bundle, the BIOS was updated and touched by the company without me doing anything, so perhaps they changed something. All I can see is 1.35v and 3200mhz, so that sounds right as it is set to auto mode Profile 1.

I don't want to to have to run my memory at non-XMP speeds, as I think it takes it down to 2100mhz or something low. So what sort of things can I test ? On your FAQ you mention sending back or making sure they are the exact same ram, but these are, I am using official Corsair 3200mhz sets, all unique serials numbers printed on them are different, but each set follow up, so for instance one ends in 309 and the other 310 (etc etc), so they are correct sets. I have also tried 4 sets now. I have the very latest November bios installed (the company did this).

I know nothing about overclocking, any ideas, in layman terms, how I can modify the timings manually bit by bit to test to get as close to 3200mhz as possible ? Or if I end up with just 4 errors should I just get Windows 10 to ignore them somehow ? I heard this can be done with memory addresses.

Thanks for any help.

You shouldn't need to manually adjust timings and voltages to get your RAM working at the stock XMP profile speed.
    After trying 4 sets, it can't be the RAM that is the problem.
    Very unlikley it is the PSU. So that leaves the motherboard or CPU. One of them is obviously marginal.
    Do you have a friend with a similar PC? Can you try your RAM in his PC and their CPU in your machine?

Comment

Working...
    X