X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 change my flash drive to read-only. I can't uninstall/recovery

[bad english, sorry]

I need some help here.

I booted it with a 32 GB PNY USB flash drive. Now I need to recover the drive and MemTest86 does not uninstall.
    I did some tests and checked, the unit is in read-only mode. CMD commands (like "diskpart", etc.) do not work. External programs (like as "hdd low level format tool") dont work too. I've tried several times to remove it by the MemTest86 application itself, in several versions, but an error occurs. I've also tried it through Disk Manager, no way.

In Disk Manager, I noticed that 2 partitions were created for MemTest86, and it is possible to boot from any of them. But the rest of the memory is unusable, just like the usb flash drive itself

MemTest86 doesn't make the drive read only (Memtest86 itself needs to write log files to the drive). But some tools for partitioning drives don't work very well on USB drives.

This post should provide a solution,
    https://www.passmark.com/forum/memte...with-imageUSB=

Comment

It didn't work.. I followed several steps, of various posts and forums. The USB drive had no partitions, and functioned normally. It now recognizes 2 partitions (but shows only 1). It is in read-only mode and is not allowing me to execute any commands on it, even in admin mode. I tested many programs to recover, format, etc. I had already followed the steps of the link you sent me. I got no results. The Zero option in the MemTest86 can go up 100% and show up the "sucess" message. But dont works, still the same. The Zero option with "(Boot Sector(s) Only)" checked, an error occurs.
      I've already lost hope of recovering that.

Comment

There really isn't any such thing as read only mode for a USB drive (there is a setting that can be changed in the registry, but nothing in the drive itself).

So try the suggested procedure in the link I posted before but on a different PC. If it still fails it might be hardware failure.

Comment

Working...
        X