Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All sticks of ram are failing on test 7 need some input please

Hi
    I have an HP p6110f dual core e5300 up to 2.6gig 800 mhz. 64 bit system. Presently using Vista.

Have problem with all my browsers crashing, I.E., firefox, chrome, Safari and Opera. Safari and Opera won't even run. I.E. crashes the least. Also get BSOD sometimes a couple times a day or I may not see a BSOD for weeks completely inconsistent as to when it will happen.

Have done all the disabling of add ons etc also reinstalled all browsers. Read on internet of another person having problem said he ran memtest86 and had bad ram, he put new ram in and fixed the problem. So I thought I would give it a go.

I am buying a new laptop and thought I would also upgrade my desktop to Windows 7 however now I don't think I want to put anything into it if it is not just the ram.

I have Samsung 2-1 gig PC2 6400 sticks. Samsung 2-2 gig PC2 6400 sticks these 4 sticks have been used in my computer. I have 2 brand new never used Adata 2gig PC2 6400 sticks.

Tested each one individually both the used and new sticks in all 4 slots. Did so over days. All including the new ram produced same errors. In the first pass 0 errors in all tests but then in the second pass they each would fail with 65535+ errors on test 7. Memtest86 program would then freeze up or it would reboot (only the program not the computer). I suspect that there may be another cause to to my problem as I find it hard to believe that all 6 sticks (new and used) would fail at the same place in the testing. Also ran all Samsung sticks at same time got same failure in only Test 7 also put the 2 Adata 2gig and 2 Samsung 2gig in and ran them and got same failure only in Test 7.

Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic all passed. Ran Memtest86+ failed in their test 8 which is the same as Memtest86 test 7. In theirs it just kept going and I stopped each at 3 million errors.

One last thing when I went to download Ver 5 from Passmark download page and ran the program from a cd the program has version 4.3.6 at the upper right top NOT vers 5. I thought I downloaded the wrong one so went back and did it again and same thing ver 4.3.6. I then downloaded the old 4.3.6 and it looks the same. Is ver 5 supposed to have 4.3.6 at the top.
    Sorry for the length of this.
    Thanks
    Keith

It is highly unlikely that both the Samsung and ADATA RAM sticks have the same fault.

So it is much more likely that there is some other fault. It might be a bad RAM slot on the motherboard, but if you see the error on multiple slots, this is unlikely. It might be a pin on the CPU making bad electrical contact with the CPU socket. There is a small chance it might be the RAM voltage / timing settings in BIOS, but if it was all working fine when the machine was new, this is unlikely.

I assume you have also checked the CPU running temperature under load?

For V5, it will only boot into V5 if you have UEFI BIOS. Any machine older than maybe 5 years, won't have UEFI, and in this case it falls back to V4.3.

Comment

Working...
    X