Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 results meaning

Hi guys,

I have been getting BSODs from time to time, one of which prompted me to run the Windows memory diagnostics tool, the results of which suggested I am having memory issues (not much details, just that). I decided to run the memtest86, and it ran for two and a half hours, while building errors on top of one another.
    I have attached the results. Could you, please, shed some light into the meaning - is it faulty RAM or CPU.. or something else. What are my options here?

Thank you

This was for a Lenovo Y530.

I assume this is not the original RAM that came with the machine?

According to pages like this,
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-.../592455/page/3
    The Lenovo Y530 can physically support 8GB of RAM, but the BIOS is only configured to support 6GB.
    This matches up with the MemTest86 report you posted above. Showing serious memory corruption in the 8GB memory address range. It would be a simple fix in BIOS to correct this. They just need to adjust the memory map in BIOS to exclude the address ranges in question (that range is likely being used by some other memory mapped hardware).

Best you talk to Lenovo about it.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply, David!

That's odd, putting a machine on the market with such a downfall. At the time, while I was going for this one, a lot of Y530 configurations had 8GB of RAM if not most of them.
      Based on the link you sent, it seems like Lenovo can fix that with a BIOS update, but there isn't one yet..

Either way, can I be certain that this is not a CPU problem (my concern is the CPU 0 and CPU 4 writings in the results)?

I will make sure I contact Lenovo.

Comment

I just noticed that the link from Lenovo is about IdeaPad Y530 from 2009. My laptop is a Legion Y530 (the gaming version) from 2019. Do you think this still is an ongoing problem?

Comment

OK, if it sold with 8GB, then that is a bit more strange.

Maybe it really is bad RAM. But it isn't a typical RAM failure to have 0xFF (8 bits) in error.

I might be tempted to send it back to Lenovo for checking / repairs.

Comment

Working...
          X