Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing when running on multiple cores and on exit

I am using version 4.3.6.

When I run the test on just 1 core, the test completes with no errors. I have so far not been able to run it on any CPU but 0.

When I try and run it on all CPUs, it freezes after about 2 minutes. It also freezes when trying to exit the program after it completes on the single CPU.

Specs:
    Motherboard: ASRock A785GM-LE
    CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core
    4GB RAM in two sticks

Originally posted by zomnker View Post
    I am using version 4.3.6.

When I run the test on just 1 core, the test completes with no errors. I have so far not been able to run it on any CPU but 0.

When I try and run it on all CPUs, it freezes after about 2 minutes. It also freezes when trying to exit the program after it completes on the single CPU.

Specs:
    Motherboard: ASRock A785GM-LE
    CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core
    4GB RAM in two sticks
    Can you run MemTest86 with boot trace enabled by selecting the boot trace option in the menu. Please take a picture (or a video) of your screen using a digital camera while pressing a key until you reach the trace point before the freeze. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
      Can you run MemTest86 with boot trace enabled by selecting the boot trace option in the menu. Please take a picture (or a video) of your screen using a digital camera while pressing a key until you reach the trace point before the freeze. Thanks.
      Here is a link to the video I took of the trace.

Comment

Thanks for the video. I don't see any obvious reasons why it would freeze at that particular trace point. Can you take a screenshot of the memory map by pressing 'c' -> Miscellaneous Options -> Print Memory Map. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2870.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	34860

Here you go. Thanks for looking at all of this.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109[/ATTACH]

Here you go. Thanks for looking at all of this.
            Thanks, there doesn't seem to be anything strange about the memory map.

Does it freeze at the same point every time, or is it random?
            Have you had it working on a previous version of MemTest86?

Also check and make sure you have the latest BIOS.

Comment

I do have the most current BIOS, meant to say that in my last post.

I do not know with complete certainty that it occurs at the exact same place, I assume it does though. It does always freeze between 2 and 3.5 minutes.

Comment

It isn't something silly like the CPU overheating when run on all cores?
                2 to 3 minutes is about the time frame required to reach peak temperature inside the CPU.

Comment

It could be overheating but seems unlikely because it is so sporadic a problem when not running memtest. I believe I have a program that will tell me CPU temps, I will check that out and will also take a look at the CPU/Heatsink and reapply the thermal paste.

Comment

it is so sporadic a problem when not running memtest.
                    What are the issues you see outside of Memtest86? Complete system freezes as well, or some other behaviour?

Comment

I have had several system freezes, usually during a game like Skyrim. A couple of times when running no programs.

I just ran skyrim for more than an hour with no problems, first time in over a week that I didn't have a freeze. I ran my core temp program at the same time, none of my cores went above around 50% and temps never went above 55C.

I have not yet checked the thermal paste, will do so next. I'll then run memtest again with all 4 cores and report back on what happens.

Comment

Would also be worth trying something that loads the CPU to 100% and checking the temp.

e.g. Run BurnInTest with only the CPU test for 15min.
                        http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Comment

I cleaned out the old thermal paste, put on new, and ran memtest again. It ran on all 4 cores with no errors but then froze when I went to exit. Not sure if that was a HW issue or something with the software.

I will run a stress test on it and see what it comes up with.

Comment

Ran a stress test along with my core temp program. There were no issues during the test and the temp averaged 76C the whole time.

Aside from the freeze when exiting the memtest I mentioned above, I haven't had any further issues. I'll keep looking at it but I think we can close this thread. Thanks for the assist!

Comment

OK, good that the problem has been mostly resolved.

But 76C is hot for this CPU. I think the AMD specification says a max of 61C for normal operation. You might find the CPU is throttling its clock speed down.

Comment

Working...
                              X