Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MemTest86 errors on brand new RAM

Hello everyone, hope you're doing well.

I'm running a Intel i7 4790k on a Gigabyte z97x Gaming motherboard with a Gtx 1080 and 4 x 8GB Kingston DDR3 ram sticks.

After dual booting my system to run Ubuntu 18.04 alongside Windows 10, I started getting the BSOD in Windows 10 with the stop code memory management.

I ran all the Windows tests and then ran the MemTest86 tests and found I was getting errors on tests 4,5,7, 8 and 10. This was a couple months ago. Today I finally decided to replace the ram sticks and try again. First I tried these tests with 2 ram sticks and there were no issues. Then, I ran the test with 2 brand new Ram sticks in addition to these two and got the exact same errors.

Could it be a problem with the memory reader on the Motherboard?
    I've attached the results of my last test and my latest test was very similar to this.

Please help!!

​​​

Looks like RAM is bad. See
    https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

If you take 6 sticks, then you just need to use some trail and error to narrow down the problems.
    It can also be possible the the error only appears in dual channel mode, or only appears when 4 sticks are in use. There will be higher electrical load with 4 sticks and the memory map will also be different (as compared to 1 or 2 sticks).

Comment

I tried with 2 new ram sticks along with 2 old ram sticks (total 4) and got the same error, but did not get it when I tried with just the 2 new ram sticks (total 2).
      Does this indicate the issue appears only when 4 sticks are used? If so, how do I go about fixing this?

Comment

It's inconclusive isn't it? At least based on the details you posted above (which are ambiguous).
        You had 4 sticks to start with, then bought 2 more. So 6 in total.
        Shouldn't you test each pair of old sticks by themselves, then test each pair of old sticks with the new pair?

Comment

Hi. Yes I agree with you. I will try it out and update this post. Thank you so much!

Comment

Tested 2 old sticks and 2 new sticks. All the sticks work as long as I'm only using 2 of each. When I use all 4 sticks at once, I get errors in tests 5, 7, 8, 10 and 13.

Does this mean there might be a problem with my motherboard trying to read when all 4 sticks are in place?

Comment

Might be incompatibility issue (e.g. too much voltage drop with 4 sticks).
              i.e same sticks might work fine in another system & your system might work fine with 4 sticks from a different vendor.

Comment

Ohh okay. 2 of my sticks are different and the other 2 are the same. I will try to run a stick with all 4 sticks the same. What are my options, other than just trying with the sticks I have?

Comment

I tried with all 4 sticks of the same type, which I had luckily. No errors on one pass. Safe to assume everything is OK? The other configurations I tried had errors in pass 1 itself.

Comment

Safe to assume everything is OK
                    Nothing is every 100% certain. But if you had errors, and don't anymore. Then things must have improved.

Comment

Working...
                    X