Clear All

• Strange RAM problems with x470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi MOBO

First my specs:

x470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi (rev. 1.0) vF8 BIOS
    AMD Ryzen 2700X (Stock)
    G.SKILL 32GB (4 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    EVGA Supernova 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W

The issue I'm having is that my PC will once in a while BSOD, usually with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT as the error, but yesterday I got IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Sometimes it can go for several days without BSOD'ing after doing it once or twice in a single day. In my troubleshooting I have discovered that: The PC will not boot into Windows without bluescreening if XMP Profile is OFF, it will only boot to Windows and operate normally when XMP is turned on, but then I have these BSODs every once in a while. I tested using two sticks of RAM only and the machine will boot just fine with XMP on or off, however I don't know if I would still get the ocassional BSODs like this because as I said it can be several days before I get one. This all started happening after I tried to update my BIOS to latest version and I had to revert back to the version I was because the newer versions werent stable, but it could all be a coincidence. Who knows. Anyway I ran Memtest86, free version w/ default settings and got this findings:

4 sticks of RAM with XMP turned on: Got 1 error on test 7, first pass.
    4 sticks of RAM with XMP turned off: Program froze while booting, then froze during the test on my 2nd attempt of running the software.
    2 sticks of RAM (Kit A, DIMMs 1 and 3) with XMP turned on: Got 1 error on test 7, first pass.
    2 sticks of RAM (Kit B, DIMMs 2 and 4) with XMP turned on: 0 errors on all 4 passes.

Right now, I'm running on the kit that had no errors on all 4 passes to see if something happens since the only BSOD I can reproduce with certainty is when I try to boot the machine with 4 DIMMs populated and XMP is OFF. I'm not sure how to interpret my findings at this point and how to proceed from here, which is why I'm seeking advice here as I got no responses on the Gigabyte forums. I also ordered a kit of 32GB (2x16GB) to mess with and see if I have any issue with those.

Thanks in advance.

2 sticks of RAM (Kit A, DIMMs 1 and 3) with XMP turned on: Got 1 error on test 7, first pass.
    2 sticks of RAM (Kit B, DIMMs 2 and 4) with XMP turned on: 0 errors on all 4 passes.
    Sounds like bad RAM. See if you can get it replaced under warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post

Sounds like bad RAM. See if you can get it replaced under warranty.
      Thanks for the response. It is what I suspected, but one thing that was throwing me off and I forgot to mention, is that the windows memory diagnostic tool didn't found any error the one time I ran it even with all 4 sticks in. I don't know how accurate that tool is, but given the circumstances I guess it's obvious that something is wrong with the RAM and I should trust more what memtest86 is telling me so I will try to get these sticks replaced.

Comment

There is no perfect test. Too many permutations of access patterns, data & settings to cover everything in a reasonable period of time. Plus there is always the possibility that the BIOS is buggy (e.g. setting the wrong voltages and timings), or the CPU or motherboard is bad. Single bit/byte errors are almost always bad RAM however.

Most of the memory vendors accept the results of Memtest86 for returns.

Comment

Working...
        X