Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion to change USB image size

Hello,

I'm a long time user of memtest86 (started around v3.0). I haven't built any systems needing memory testing recently, so I haven't made a bootable USB for the utility (a bootable floppy with v4.3.7 kept me going).

Today, I tried to create a v8.4 bootable USB image on an old 512MB USB stick I wasn't using (documentation indicates 512MB or greater is OK). I was quickly reminded that for storage/memory manufacturers, 512MB isn't quite 512MB (1024 != 1000...I'm looking at you, Lexar) and the stick only has 495.5MB usable after formatting. The image in the USB is 512,000 KB (500MB), so its not fitting. Its so close... Looking into the .img file with a hex editor, it looks like roughly half the file is zeros, so it appears there could be room to shrink the image a little.

I was wondering if it would expand compatibility if the image could be reduced to be compatible with Lexar math. The USB writer utility complained, and there is a little bit of non-zero data towards the end of the .img file, so I didn't try writing the image not knowing what an incomplete image would do.

If the image size is arbitrary, a 475MB image size should still fit on a theoretical 500,000,000 byte USB stick (476.8MB). 512,000,000 bytes is 488.3MB, this work in my case. Is the larger size image size intended for storing result logs? I previously had downloaded Memtest86 v7.x versions and they had a smaller image size. Would this be a better option for my poor little 494MB stick?

I realize I am probably having a problem that will be going away soon since I don't think I've seen a 512MB USB drive for sale recently... but MemTest86 is the perfect use for a smaller drive like this

Thanks!

Yes we could spend time making the image file slightly smaller. But is this the best way to spend our development effort?

But at the moment to buy a new, name brand, 4GB USB drive it is $3. Valuing your 500MB drive at 50 cents. So really there isn't much excuse for sticking with your current drive.

And yes, having some free space for log files is a good thing.

Comment

Thanks for writing back so quickly. Its just an observation. The image size for v7.x seemed to be in the mid-100M area, so I'm assuming there a healthy amount of padding for log storage. I don't know the development effort involved with configuring the partition size.
      My excuse for sticking with the current drive it simply to reduce waste and keep it out of a landfill. Cost is less of the motivation.
      Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X