Memtest86 Hangs/Freezes on Hammer Test via USB Memtest86 on a Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 Hangs/Freezes on Hammer Test via USB Memtest86 on a Server

I've been using Memtest86 to refurbish some Dell PowerEdge R720xd servers, and I've run into an issue on just one of the devices I have been testing. The server hangs or freezes very hard on the hammer test, and only the hammer test, consistently. I've let the other two servers run their course and they completed all 4 passes of the default test settings despite their large amount of memory, meanwhile our problem device with the same amount of memory is stuck on pass 2's hammer test with a runtime of almost 72 hours now. Both the Time and the State activity are not updating live and instead only seem to be pushed through once every 5-10 minutes or so, only to be stuck on that new updated information for another 5-10 minutes. I'd left the test to run over the weekend unattended, and after 68 hours the test had completely frozen and took 10 minutes to respond to the input of the Esc key to pull up the options menu. Afterwards it snapped back to normal for just a few minutes before going back to what appears to be entirely frozen with a 68h 25m 37s runtime. I've since decided to end the test and

Through all this Memtest86 has not detected an error, so I'm curious as to what this could mean for the server. I've read up on what exactly the hammer test is testing for, but is this a result of the failures in memory that it is supposed to test for if there are no errors for it?

System Specs:
    Dell PowerEdge R720xd
    BIOS Ver.: 2.9.0
    System Memory Size: 192.0 GB ECC DDR3 1333MHz
    Processors: 2x Intel Xeon CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz

If there is any other information I can post to help diagnose this issue I would be glad to. Thanks!

Are all machines an identical config with identical amounts of RAM?
    While the chances are low, it is possible the hammer test corrupted some RAM that was used for program execution.

What version of Memtest86 are you using?
    If you are using V8.4 can you post or Email a debug log.

Comment

Working...
    X