Black screen after selecting USB from Boot Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black screen after selecting USB from Boot Options

I recently had weird restarts with my laptop during high loads despite good temps and latest drivers, so I wanted to use Memtest86 to rule out RAM issues. However, after selecting the USB drive to boot from, all I see is a black screen. Memtest did not attempt to boot because there are no log files in the EFI/BOOT directory. I'm not sure what is going on here. Would love to provide any further information if necessary. Thank you in advance!

If there really was no MemTest86.log file, then the boot process didn't even start. So there is nothing that can be done from the MemTest86 side, the problem is in BIOS and the boot options you selected. I am assuming this is a fairly new machine with UEFI style BIOS?

Comment

Oh wait, the extension was hidden so I missed that a log file was generated. I've attached the file. My machine is a 2017 Alienware 13R3 with dual boot Windows 10/Ubuntu set up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Did the log file give you guys any indication of what was happening?

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          If there really was no MemTest86.log file, then the boot process didn't even start. So there is nothing that can be done from the MemTest86 side, the problem is in BIOS and the boot options you selected. I am assuming this is a fairly new machine with UEFI style BIOS?
          Bumping this reply. I would really appreciate some debugging help!

Comment

From the log, the BIOS appears to have a fairly old UEFI implementation. Try upgrading to the latest BIOS.

Another concerning area are the timestamps in the log. Some log lines that ~1 sec which is an indication of a slow USB drive and/or buggy UEFI implementation. Try using a known, fast USB flash drive if you are not doing so already.

Comment

Working...
            X