Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System reboots before even testing

Hello.

I was about to run memtest on my PC, but it rebooted itself, before even getting myself on the main menu(worked fine on my laptop). After researching a bit, i found out, that people had a similar problem like me and that on their case it had to do with the mainboard having problems and being needed to blacklisted. But after comparing the other log-files with my log-file, it didn't even go through the blacklist.

CPU is AMD FX-8350
    Motherboard is M5A97 Plus
    RAM, not sure about the name but it is DDR3-1833Mhz

I also provided my log-file.
    Attached Files

We'll have a closer look at the log. But it really didn't get very far at all in the boot process. Didn't even seem to get to the point of reading the black list.

Does this machine have suspected hardware problems?

Comment

Well, i suspect the RAM having some problems(games and music production software are crashing a lot or even causing bluescreens, but only experienced on windows, ubuntu works fine). Otherwise everything should be fine. If you need some more information, just tell(preferred with the ubuntu commmand if you need a specific terminal output).

Comment

Might be just good luck that it doesn't crash in Ubuntu.
        Do you have spare RAM to try?
        Or can you remove half the sticks (e.g. run with 2 if you have 4)

Comment

Don't have spare RAM to try at the moment and can't/won't put out any RAM sticks right now, cause after opening my case i realized, that my CPU-cooler is so big, that it blocks the RAM and i don't have thermal compound right now. Might buy some and then try it.

Comment

Regarding the log file, there is a possibility that the actual log data may be written to the MemTest86.log in the other partition (there are 2 nearly identical partitions, for compatible reasons).

Can you check the other partition (under /EFI/BOOT) to see if the MemTest86.log file exists?

You may need to use a non-Windows O/S to check, as the EFI system partition cannot be mounted in Windows.
            Last edited by keith; Jun-22-2020, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Ok, i checked now my USB-Stick for all the other /EFI/BOOT folders and found a log-file that looks more promising, from what i briefly saw, it starts with the check i accidently made on my laptop(laptop's fine), by wanting to reinstall it's OS and later there is data, that looks more like my regular PC(Row 2586).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7mn89mfcn...est86.log?dl=0

Needed to upload it to dropbox, cause the log-file is bigger than the forum accepts.

Comment

Took a closer look at it myself now, for me it seems, that there is no MP-support. Can you validate it?

Comment

From the end of the log it looks like the boot process stopped when testing on the multiprocessing capabilities (MP) of the UEFI BIOS were performed.
                  So very likely this is old buggy UEFI firmware. Is there any newer firmware for the motherboard?

Comment

Haven't checked yet. Maybe should do.

Comment

Just looked up, the most recent BIOS update is from 2016. So no avaiable updates.

Comment

Working...
                      X