Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Sequential CPU incompatibility

Hi;

I recently tested my Asus X99-E WS USB/3.1 system (with a Xeon E5-1650 V4), and the default settings (using Memtest 8.3 Pro) passed after running 4 passes. This took about 11 and a half hours on 64 GB of ECC memory.

For the first time I then tried running the tests with the 'Sequential' CPU option. The system locked up after a minute or two and I needed to reset the system with the hardware reset button.

I updated to Memtest 8.4 pro with no apparent difference.

I tried running with the 'Round robin' CPU option and that seemed to work o.k. (at least for the 46 minutes I tried it).

Does this seem like it would be an incompatibility between my system and Memtest 86 in sequential CPU mode?

I tried running with the 'Sequential' CPU option and a few different sub-ranges of memory selected in the test setup gui. (Trying to see if this was memory range related).

Limiting the address range to 0-20 G, 20-40G, 0-30 G,33 G-64 G etc. all seem to fail.

For some reason, trying 40G-60G runs for at least about 12 minutes (that seemed a lot longer than the cases that hung so I cancelled the test at that point).

I will attach the zipped log where I tried several different different options. In the interests of time I usually declared victory if a test ran more than 12 minutes, but I ran some tests for longer.

And, as I said, I was able to run 4 complete passes successfully overnight using the default 'parallel' CPU option.

Thanks;
    Attached Files

There are a lot of motherboard with UEFI bugs that result in quick system freezes. There is a list here
    https://www.passmark.com/forum/memte...election-modes

But nearly all the time it is the opposite of what you reported. There is a lockup in multi-threading mode and it works OK in single threading mode.

Comment

> ... in single threading mode.

Just for completeness sake, I ran a test in 'Single CPU' mode and as one might expect that seemed to work o.k. (for at least the 12 minutes that I waited).

So far at least, only the 'Sequential' CPU mode experiences a hang.

Comment

Working...
      X