Blue Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Screen

I'm trying to run MemTest86 on an older Dell Optiplex GX270 with 1.5 gigs of DDR RAM. When I boot with MemTest86 from a CD, I get the normal options screen. As soon as I choose an option, I get nothing but a blue screen with a flashing cursor. It acts the same way if I don't choose an option and just let it run the default scan. I've successfully used this CD in other computers so I know it works well. If I remove the disk and reboot, the computer boots and functions normally. Can anyone offer a suggestion to make this work?

Edit: I just tried it using the bootable USB image and got the same results.
    Last edited by straightupwv; May-11-2014, 01:56 PM.

What version of MemTest are you using?
    How many sticks of RAM are in the box?

There is some chance it is a hardware fault, even if it can boot the O/S.

Comment

I downloaded and ran version 5.0.0 but it ran version 4.3.6. Should I download and run the 4.3.6 image instead?

It has 2 sticks of 512 and 2 sticks of 256. Crucial is the brand.
      Last edited by straightupwv; May-11-2014, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Can you try testing with just 1 stick at a time.
        The V5 release contains both V4 and V5. So there is no point downloading the standalone V4 release.

Comment

I will try that when I get the opportunity. It may be few days. Here's a new twist; I tried to use it on another Dell GX27. I got the same blue screen with the flashing cursor. It stayed that way until I removed the CD. Then it ran. Hmm... Maybe this model computer is just allergic to MemTest.

Comment

Please give this debug build a try:

http://www.passmark.com/ftp/memtest8...4.3.7a.img.zip

This build fixes some hardware issues during startup.

Comment

That worked like a charm. Thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
              X