Identifying location of a bit address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying location of a bit address

I was wondering if it was possible to identify which RAM stick is faulty when Memtest86 reports an error. I know that the bit address is reported, but I can't figure out if that address can be pinpointed to a specific stick.

Great forum and a lot of excellent posts.

I too am curious if anyone can identify memory sticks through memtest86 when testing multiple memory sticks at the same time...

I spent some time and read quit of few posts and most of everyone is suggesting to test memory stick single unit at a time... Has anyone used this utility with multiple memory sticks and if so, how can you identify which memory stick is bad? What if I am using all four banks filled with 2GB memory sticks and each has identical RAM type, manufacturer, memory size and speed?

Or, is it just a mute point to conduct such a test?

Currently using version 4.3.7 with USB boot...

Thank you in advance.

Comment

The normal process is to test with all sticks, then in the case of an error, test 1 (or 2) sticks at a time.

No it isn't possible to detect automatically which stick is at fault. The problems are,

1) Most motherboard run in dual, tri or quad channel mode. At the moment the software doesn't know when this is happening. So a lot of the time the memory addresses are interleaved across the sticks.

2) The software doesn't know which slot is slot #1.

3) Often the slots on the motherboard aren't labeled. So even if the software knows which slot is #1, you still don't know which one is #1, when you open up the case.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
        The normal process is to test with all sticks, then in the case of an error, test 1 (or 2) sticks at a time.

No it isn't possible to detect automatically which stick is at fault. The problems are,

1) Most motherboard run in dual, tri or quad channel mode. At the moment the software doesn't know when this is happening. So a lot of the time the memory addresses are interleaved across the sticks.

2) The software doesn't know which slot is slot #1.

3) Often the slots on the motherboard aren't labeled. So even if the software knows which slot is #1, you still don't know which one is #1, when you open up the case.
        David, thank you much... This is not a serious problem and if needed, I can run one stick test at a time.. My tests showed that few of my memory sticks were bad out of 3 computers that I have... and by testing them individually, found which one was bad... can not ask for better results! - Thanks again.

Comment

Thank you very much David, that was a concise and clear answer. I do have a follow-up question:

What is the use of the lowest and highest error locations, if they do not correspond to a specific module? I understand that if you have 3 or more modules, you can exchange 2 of them to see if the remaining module(s) is faulty by checking if the error locations change or not. But, is that the only use?

Comment

The address range is just to give an idea of the seriousness of the error.

Getting errors in one bit is obviously less serious than errors in 100s of bits.

It can also help in debugging errors. For example we had a case where the error address range was the same range as the addresses used for USB ports. Which points to a BIOS bug, as BIOS should guard these addresses ranges and prevent them being used by MemTest86 (and the operating system).

Comment

David, is there any manual to betterexplain or describe each function for this solution by any chance please?There is a lot going on the screen while memtest86 is performing manyduties. I am talking about not only for what you see on the screenwhile it is performing its functions, from live tests and results,but also side of the option selections (configuration). I spent moretime searching for answers to better understand this importantutility.. and I have more questions now than before.

I do not have a problem to pay for theversion available.. does it give better results or comes with betterdocumentation? Free utility is what it is and it does a great job.Does paid version do anything more that is visible in performance ordetections process? I looked at comparison charthttp://www.memtest86.com/features.htm between “free” vs. “paid”and I do not see much of any difference, unless if I am not readingit correctly. One of the features it states “CustomizableReports”, anotherone “Configuration file”... Looks like other may be importantfeatures that are worth looking at... butno explanation what they are in detail.

Ifpossible please, can someone provide detailed manual that may beavailable? I think it will be easier to operate with this productregardless if paid version or not. I'dlike to see better explanation for the paid version vs. free, ifavailable. I think such answers not only will help me personally, butmany others in this forum or future members.

Comment

The is a 38 page PDF User's Guide that comes with the software (inside the image file that you copy of the USB drive).
                PDF is called,
                MemTest86_User_Guide_V5.x_UEFI.pdf

The differences between the free and paid for software can be found here,
                http://www.memtest86.com/features.htm

Comment

David, I found it... oversight from my side..

Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                  X