Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot display problem with HP w2007 monitor and MemTest86

All,

I can boot my HP computer and the nice HP w2007 with no problem, to include using the DOS appearing BIOS/configuration menu, but when I boot to the MEMTEST86 disk the display is unreadable. The resolution and/or wrong frequency is my guess, but I have no idea how to force a particular resolution and/or frequency on boot. Any suggestions for how to boot to the ISO and have the display function?

Thanks,

Phillip

It is unlikely to be a resolution issue.
    What are the specs of the machine?
    How if the machine connected to the monitor (e.g. HDMI)?
    Is there any chance you can take a photo of the screen and post it?

Comment

"What are the specs of the machine?"

HP Pavilion a6130n (Athlon 64X2 2.6GHz, 3GB RAM, 400GB HDD, Vista Home Premium originally, Windows 7 32bit now) (other details here)

"How is the machine connected to the monitor?" - VGA cable

"Is there any chance you can take a photo of the screen and post it?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	computer screen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	34885

The monitor is an HP w2007 (specs here)

Hopefully that is what you wanted. Thanks!

Phillip

Comment

We haven't seen this before. The video chipset in your machine is super old, but MemTest86 V4 doesn't need anything special.

Do you have a different monitor to try?

Comment

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "super old", but it was made in 2008. LOL Six years qualifies as super old? LOL OK, I will try another monitor and follow up. Oh, and to be clear, I do think it is a monitor problem as it is a wide screen monitor, but why I can see things fine at the command prompt, when booting into the safe mode and text is echoed to the screen, the bios/boot menu, etc., just not MEMTEST86...but sure, I'll change monitors to see if I can get the memory test that I need to run to function...ugh.

Comment

The chipset in the machine was a bit old when you bought it. The nForce 430 was released at CEBIT, March 2006. Let me know how a different monitor works, if you have one available.

Comment

OK, figured it out. HP w2007 monitor required me to turn the power switch off and back on in order to detect the correct resolution. Once I did that, it worked fine. HP issue, not a MEMTEST86 issue.

Comment

Thanks for the follow up. Always nice to find out the solution.

Comment

Working...
                X