Ecc error in memetest!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecc error in memetest!

Hello, I have Intel Xeon E5-2660 with 4x4GB Ram in my Dell Precision T3610 with Windows 10 1903. Since I bought this PC I am facing some random bsod error messages or my system would get stuck and I would have to restart. So, I decided to run Memetest to check if my Ram is faulty but it ran for 58% before my system freezes again. This is my last photo while my system is stuck: https://i.ibb.co/vkCb617/20200913-160813.jpg What does it mean? Is there a problem with my Ram? Also, why does Memetest show 11.9G of Ram in Total while I have 16GB installed and I can confirm that in the BIOS menu it also says 16GB Ram installed.
    Best regards.

Yes, RAM is bad probably bad (with a small chance it is CPU, MB or BIOS).
    But up until the point where it froze the error detected in the RAM were corrected by the ECC function.
    ECC can correct 1 bit errors, but not 2 bit errors.
    For 2 bit errors they can be detected, but not corrected. Often the machine is setup to stop running once a 2bit error occurs.

So I am assuming from time to time you get a 2 bit error (or 3 or 4...).

See also
    https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Yes, RAM is bad probably bad (with a small chance it is CPU, MB or BIOS).
      But up until the point where it froze the error detected in the RAM were corrected by the ECC function.
      ECC can correct 1 bit errors, but not 2 bit errors.
      For 2 bit errors they can be detected, but not corrected. Often the machine is setup to stop running once a 2bit error occurs.

So I am assuming from time to time you get a 2 bit error (or 3 or 4...).

See also
      https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm
      Alright so as I have Dell T3610 and all of my 4 Ram modules are on the 4 white slots. Can Memtest86 detect the failure ram? I had swapped the ram modules and then ran Memtest86 but then it reported no errors. However, today I again see those error messages in Event Log and I am sure when I will run Memtest86 it will again shows those errors. What do you think should I live with these errors or find the bad one and change it?

Comment

Depends what you use the server for.
        If it was used for something important, I would track down the bad module and replace it.

Comment

Depends what you use the server for.
          If it was used for something important, I would track down the bad model and replace it.
          Well first of all this error is not on a server but on my Workstation Dell T3610 at home. I am using it as a desktop. Secondly, now things are a bit complicated. I want to trace that faulty ram. What I did was change the position of all of my 4 ram modules after I got the error. After, a while I re-run the Error then again Memtest86 says Ecc error is found in Channel 0 /Slot 0 Why? How could this be possible when I changed all of my ram module's slots but then again it reports an error on the same slot. Then, maybe if I am not wrong the Slot 0 Channel 0 has a problem instead of the Rams. Need Urgent Help plz.

Comment

Slot reporting isn't always accurate. It depends on the BIOS firmware handling the errors correctly.
            But yes, it is also possible the slot is intermittent

Comment

Slot reporting isn't always accurate. It depends on the BIOS firmware handling the errors correctly.
              But yes, it is also possible the slot is intermittent
              Alright, Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X