Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does memtest86 monitors/check for overheating RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does memtest86 monitors/check for overheating RAM?

I ran memtest86 v4.0 on my Xeon x3440 because it doesnt support UEFI boot. It ran fine couple of hours until it stated "No errors found press Esc to exit" or something like that. So I was wondering if memtest86 monitors temperature as well to ensure that RAM/memory isnt overheating and is 100% stable and OK. The CPU is overclocked but the RAM is running on stocks.

The temperature of the RAM chips aren't monitored.
    Most RAM sticks do not have a temperature senor on them. So for those it isn't technically possible without using some external hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      The temperature of the RAM chips aren't monitored.
      Most RAM sticks do not have a temperature senor on them. So it isn't technically possible without using some external hardware.
      Yes. But does the test stresses it enough to tell if its overheating or not? In other words the temperature is acceptable and hence literally stable.

Comment

The load on the memory modules (in multi-threaded mode) should be higher than most real life applications.
        But real life applications might in a few cases place more load on a very small range of addresses.
        MemTest86, by it's nature, spreads the load across the entire address range (unless you change the range of addresses being tested from the configuration options).

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Buksh View Post

Yes. But does the test stresses it enough to tell if its overheating or not? In other words the temperature is acceptable and hence literally stable.
          In my experience MemTest86 stressed RAM modules as much as humanly possible, i.e. it causes maximum heat.

Comment

If memtest86 ever decides to monitor DRAM temperatures, I'd like to mention that for example if HWMonitor is running(ie. polling DRAM temps) then Thaiphoon Burner will sometimes CRC Fail when Read-ing DRAM SPD (some bytes become FF, usually just one or two bytes, but sometimes even four consecutive ones). Presumably this happens because no kind of locking is used to communicate with the DRAM? I've no idea, but it can be repro easily. But maybe this wouldn't happen within memtest86 because monitoring temps and reading SPD wouldn't happen in parallel anyway. Still... good to know?

Comment

We'll look into displaying Temperature Sensor on DIMM (TSOD) data in a future release (when the hardware supports it).

Comment

Working...
              X