Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help translating this MemTest86 screengrab, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help translating this MemTest86 screengrab, please.

My W7 Ultimate 64bit Intel i5 system has been crashing frequently for several months. About a month back I removed the 2x 8GB sticks of G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 2133 ram, cleaned them and reseated them. The crashes persisted so last night I booted MemTest86 v4 from CD (the BIOS is Legacy, not UEFI, so I can't run v and this morning found evidence of many errors. However, MemTest didn't offer a report when I closed out and rebooted, but didn't know where to look for it.
    Here's a screen grab. Does it show which of the two 8GB modules might be faulty? I guess I should next test each stick individually.
    Thanks for reading this.
    Attached Files

The old V4 release couldn't write to disks so there was no possibility of getting a saved report.

But yes, it looks like the RAM is bad. See this page to start with
    https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Comment

Thanks for your comments.
      In the troubleshooting area I found this:
      "There are some systems that cause MemTest86 to be confused about the size of memory and it will try to test non-existent memory. This will cause a large number of consecutive addresses to be reported as bad and generally there will be many bits in error. If you have a relatively small number of failing addresses and only one or two bits in error you can be certain that the errors are valid. Also intermittent errors are without exception valid."
      My Asus 310M-E R.2 motherboard doesn't appear on the problem motherboards list.

Comment

MemTest86 will only attempt to test "non-existent" memory if there is a BIOS firmware bug claiming that the memory does in fact exist. It is a rare BIOS bug.
        Most RAM errors are bad RAM (or sometimes bad timing settings, bad voltages, bad settings in general).

Comment

Working...
        X