5.1.0 (and 6.0b1) freeze on sequential and round-robin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.1.0 (and 6.0b1) freeze on sequential and round-robin

I have a Xeon E3-1220v2 booting from UEFI, and with 5.1.0, there are no errors when I test all 32GB of RAM using any single "core" (0-3) or parallel (all 4 "cores"). (Note that there are two physical cores, reported as 4 due to hyperthreading.) So I don't think there's a problem with my RAM.

However, when I do sequential, it freezes at the start of test 2 (test own address), running on core 3.

When I round-robin, it freezes as early as test 3 (moving inversions, ones and zeroes) and as late as test 7 (moving versions, 32-bit pattern).

These freezes happen in both 5.1.0 and in 6.0b1.

I also tried 5.1.1025, but that just froze immediately, even on a single core-0 test.

I haven't yet had a chance to try 5.1.1005, since it seems to freeze when I select "sequential" -- but there could be a prompt off-screen, since my screen is only 640x480, but memtest86 seems to be laid out for 800x600.

What should I try next? I'll email my 5.1.0 logs to support and refer to this thread.

Thanks, we've received your logs and sent a reply (summarized as follows)

We have seen this problem a few times with certain UEFI firmware that freeze when switching between cores/threads during sequential/round-robin modes. This is a UEFI firmware issue which requires a BIOS fix from your motherboard vendor. So I would first check for an updated BIOS from your motherboard vendor.

Comment

Working...
    X