Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackscreen when booting off of USB

Hello,

This is my first time using MemTest and I followed the steps provided with the installation of MemTest on a removable drive. However, when I select that drive to boot from the BIOS, the screen just goes black and does not give me any video on the screen. I reinstalled MemTest on the USB drive and the issue still proceeded. Any help would be appreciated.

How old is your machine? Does it support UEFI BIOS ?

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      How old is your machine? Does it support UEFI BIOS ?
      My machine is from 2017 and yes, it does support UEFI BIOS

The specs are:

CPU: i5-7600K
      GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060
      RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3600
      Motherboard: Gigabyte z270m-D3H
      PowerSupply: EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze

I found that MemTest v4.3.7 work but not the latest version.

Comment

We've seen cases where buggy or old UEFI implementations can hang the boot process. Check to see if there is an upgrade available for your BIOS.

A log file (MemTest86.log) is automatically created and updated while MemTest86 v5 or later is running. This file is saved in the 'EFI/BOOT' directory in the USB drive's first partition. You can post the log or email in the log and we can take a look at where it might be hanging at.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard (PassMark) View Post
          We've seen cases where buggy or old UEFI implementations can hang the boot process. Check to see if there is an upgrade available for your BIOS.

A log file (MemTest86.log) is automatically created and updated while MemTest86 v5 or later is running. This file is saved in the 'EFI/BOOT' directory in the USB drive's first partition. You can post the log or email in the log and we can take a look at where it might be hanging at.
          I somehow fixed the issue. Since my BIOS was up to date. I decided to use a different USB drive and a different browser to download MemTest and it worked. I decided to run the test with only one stick of RAM, however, on Test 6, it gave me errors and then it just locked up. The test crashed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0761.JPG
Views:	3738
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	49281

Comment

I cannot upload the log file since it exceeds the limit.

Comment

That is a lot of RAM errors. Looks like a hardware failure.

See this page to start with.
              https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
                That is a lot of RAM errors. Looks like a hardware failure.

See this page to start with.
                https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm
                Yes, and this is only ONE stick of RAM module. I am running the test again on the second module and so far it has 157 Errors. I made sure that I had no overclock applied to the CPU, the only thing that is on is XMP for the memory.

I will try to clear CMOS and reinstall the update of my motherboard and see if that makes a difference. If not, I will tinker around the RAM voltage. If that doesn't work, I will ask for replacement from Amazon and hopefully they will send a kit that is not defective.

Another question, could it be my motherboard that is causing all these errors?

Comment

Yes, it could be motherboard or CPU.

Comment

I had the same issue and this was the first thread that came up in a Google search. I ended up figuring out the solution myself. The fix was to remove my DisplayPort monitor and replace it with one that connected via VGA. I didn't try that at first because I could see everything up to the point where the test started. Hope this helps someone. Using 10.2 Build 1000.

Comment

If there was no video output to the Display Port connector, this is likely a BIOS bug. What hardware are you using.

This doesn't seem to be the same problem as the initial post (which seemed to be due to a faulty USB flash drive).

Comment

It's a HP EliteDesk 800 G2.

Comment

Working...
                        X