Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MemTest86 v9.0 Beta 2 Release (2021-02-10 Update - Beta testing is now closed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MemTest86 v9.0 Beta 2 Release (2021-02-10 Update - Beta testing is now closed)

(2021-02-10 Update) MemTest86 v9.0 has been officially released. As a result, MemTest86 v9.0 beta testing period is now over. Thank you to our beta testers for the bug reports and feedback.

Downloads
    (2021-02-10 Update) MemTest86 v9.0 Pro and Site Edition can now be purchased from our sales page. As usual, the Free Edition is available for download on the normal MemTest86 download page. Beta downloads are no longer available.

New Features
    • Support UEFI-based ARM systems (arm64/aarch64), including memory test algorithms ported to ARM64 and optimized using hand-written assembly code. Special thanks to Simula eX³ project (ex3.simula.no) for providing high-end ARM64 systems for testing.
    • Added BADRAM & badmemorylist formatted strings and instructions in the exported HTML report to mask defective memory addresses (Pro only)
    • Revamped RAM SPD screen in the Main Menu with graphical view of all RAM slots
    • Added preliminary support for DIMM temperature reporting (when supported by DIMM)
    • Added option to change save location of logs/reports to another disk volume (file system)
    • Added prompt on various exit options (shutdown, reboot, exit to BIOS) on application exit.
    • Added keyboard shortcut (F12) to save screenshot to file within the Main Menu
    • Support for saving test results to a byte-packed, binary file for storage-limited systems
    • Support for passing configuration parameters via command line arguments
    • Added new config file parameter, 'EXACTSPDSIZE', to specify the total capacity of all detected SPD to match before allowing tests to begin
    • Added new config file parameter, 'MEMREMMB', for specifying the minimum amount of memory to leave unallocated during testing
    • Added new config file parameter, 'MINMEMRANGEMB', for specifying the minimum size of memory ranges that shall be allocated for testing
    • Added new config file parameter, 'AUTOREPORTFMT', for specifying report format of auto-saved reports
    • Added new config file parameter, 'PMPDISABLE', to disable TFTP uploading of XML messages for Management Console integration
    • Added new config file parameter, 'RTCSYNC', to sync real-time clock with PXE server (via a periodically updated 'CurrentTime.txt' served by the PXE server)
    • Added new config file parameter, 'VERBOSITY', for specifying the verbosity level of the debug output
    • Added new config file parameter, 'TPL', to specify the UEFI task priority level of the MemTest86 application

Fixes/Enhancements
    • Support for per-baseboard configuration file via baseboard-prefixed filename (eg. "Surface Pro-mt86.cfg")
    • Optimized/removed stale 32-bit code in memory tests
    • Improved test coverage by alternating between ascending/descending assignment order of CPU cores between passes when running in parallel mode
    • Track CPU core/thread ID of detected memory errors, and include the list of CPUs in error in test summary/report
    • Added tracking and reporting of min/max/average CPU + DIMM temperatures (when supported by DIMM)
    • Added SMBIOS memory device info to reports
    • Modified DRAM address ECC error reporting from (Column,Row,Rank,Bank) -> (Channel,Slot,Rank,Bank,Row,Column)
    • Added serial number of DIMM module experiencing ECC errors in report (supported chipsets only)
    • Added channel/slot information of detected SPDs in report (supported chipsets only)
    • Fixed 100% CPU usage when waiting for input in main menu
    • Improved UI drawing performance for better responsiveness
    • Generate beeps of Piezo Speaker on test end (if available)
    • Changed to large, coloured PASS/FAIL message box on test end
    • Changed to large, coloured FAIL message box on failed pre-test SPD checks
    • Fixed Test 12 errors in HTML report being truncated
    • Updated blacklist to work around new UEFI bugs Apple added to their UEFI firmware
    • Updated blacklist to work around Microsoft/Huawei laptops with display issues related to screen resolution
    • Fixed crash on VirtualBox due to reading of non-existent MSRs
    • Include system information details in TestResult XML messages to PXE Server (Site Edition)
    • Display error when there is a TFTP transfer error when sending Status XML messages to PXE server (Site Edition)
    • Fixed escaping of chars to XML entities when generating messages to PXE Server (Site Edition)
    • Output additional lines to console during MemTest86 boot
    • Fixed detection of uncorrected ECC errors for AMD Ryzen chipsets
    • Fixed ECC detection for > 2 channels for AMD Ryzen chipsets
    • Fixed ECC support for multiple CPU dies for AMD Ryzen chipsets
    • Fixed ECC error detection on AMD Ryzen chipsets with multiple CPUs
    • Added preliminary support for AMD Ryzen ECC reporting via error count registers when PFEH is enabled
    • Fixed ECC detection for Intel chipsets that use error count registers
    • Added ECC support for different Intel Coffee Lake chipset variants
    • Added disabling of SMI for Intel Kaby Lake chipsets to allow ECC errors to be detected
    • Added ECC support for Intel Comet Lake chipsets
    • Added preliminary support for decoding of system address to socket/channel/rank/bank/row/column address on Broadwell-DE. This information is logged in the log file.
    • Fixed incorrect reporting of ECC capabilities for chipsets with multiple IMCs
    • Added support for retrieving CPU info for Intel Gemini Lake chipsets
    • Added preliminary support for retrieving CPU info for Intel Ice Lake chipsets
    • Fixed potential unstable behaviour when increasing the target multiplier for Intel Silvermont chipsets
    • Fixed enabling turbo mode on Intel Silvermont chipsets
    • Updated temperature offsets for AMD Ryzen chipsets
    • Added preliminary support for reading AMD Ryzen 5000 (Family 19h) chipset temperatures
    • Updated EDK2 library to edk2-stable202008
    • Fixed memory leak when exiting program
    • Revised Portuguese translations
    • Updated unifont.bin file with higher weight Russian glyphs
    • Removed PassMark contact information from reports

How to report problems

Either make a post here in the forum, or send us an email at the address listed on our contact page. When reporting an error please provide as much details as possible. If you are running on a USB drive, there should be a log file that has been generated in the EFI/BOOT directory called MemTest86.log. Sending us this will be of great help. Additionally a photograph of the problem would also be useful if possible/applicable.
    Last edited by keith; Feb-10-2021, 03:07 AM.

The only thing I noticed so far about the 9.0 Beta is that it does not show the temp of my memory, I know you can't support every memory and motherboard, but I just thought mine was kinda common. Here is what I have:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra

Memory: G.Skill F4-3000C15D-32GVR DDR4-3000 16GBx2 CL15-15-15-35 1.35v (I have 4 of these for a total of 64gig of memory)

Thanks.....

Comment

Most memory doesn't have the hardware required on the RAM stick for temperature monitoring.
      Are you sure this RAM has a temperature sensor on the stick?

Comment

You are correct. I did not think of that. I checked and my memory does not support temp monitoring.

Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          Most memory doesn't have the hardware required on the RAM stick for temperature monitoring.
          Are you sure this RAM has a temperature sensor on the stick?
          My RAM kit Corsair CMT32GX4M4C3200C16 has DIMM-TS anyway Temp do not show up in MemTest86 v9.0 Beta 1
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_3306.png Views:	0 Size:	28.0 KB ID:	49495
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_3307.png Views:	0 Size:	190.2 KB ID:	49496

I can provide SMBus dump in private if needed.

It works on older system / memory
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3308.PNG
Views:	3010
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	49498
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Furna; Dec-18-2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Furna, yes, if you can Email us SMBus details and the Memtest86 log file that should help.

Comment

I recently bought v8.4, is there a way to test the new Pro features of v9?

Comment

bahbus,

EMail us and we can send you a link.

Comment

Just want to reported that i am not to boot with the latest beta and for the record, I was not able to boot from v8.4 either. The machine keeps rebooting itself whenever the booting process reaches the "Testing multiprocessor support..." state.

As quick reference, below is the last couple of lines from the log (while attempt to boot with the 9.0 beta 1). The complete MemTest86.log is attached.

2021-01-11 01:07:53 - Disabling hyperthread processor 21
                  2021-01-11 01:07:53 - Disabling hyperthread processor 23
                  2021-01-11 01:07:53 - Testing MP support
                  2021-01-11 01:07:53 - MPSupportTestMPServices - AP dispatch test
                  2021-01-11 01:07:53 - MPSupportTestMPServices - Starting AP#2

The motherboard is "X9DRi-LN4+/X9DR3-LN4+", Version: "REV:1.20A" and updated with BIOS version 3.0, E5-2620 x 2 with 128GB.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cheve View Post
                    The motherboard is "X9DRi-LN4+/X9DR3-LN4+", Version: "REV:1.20A" and updated with BIOS version 3.0, E5-2620 x 2 with 128GB.
                    Looks like it fails due to a UEFI BIOS bug with its implementation of the multiprocessor subsystem.

According to the logs, it appears you have a fairly old BIOS version

Code:
                    2021-01-11 01:07:09 - SMBIOS BIOS INFO Vendor: "American Megatrends Inc.", Version: "3.0", Release Date: "07/05/2013"
                    Can you update to the latest BIOS and see if it fixes the issue.

Comment

Thank you for your time. I updated the BIOS to v3.3 and i am able to run memtest86 v8.4.

Comment

When is the Memtest V9.0 Pro version getting released ?

Comment

Final V9 release should be in a couple of weeks.
                          We are working on an ARM CPU port at the moment, which will be part of the V9 release.

Comment

Hi all,

Seems to be Skylake W (Skylake Workstations; SKL-W) is not fully supported.
                            Chipset : C422

SPD and RAM temperature are not detected.

Memory is RDIMM ECC.
                            DDR4-2133Mhz 15-15-15-36-CR1T Samsung M393A2G40DB0-CPB
                            Current configuration : quad channel ( 4 x16GB) - 256 bit

Memory Device
                            Array Handle: 0x0011
                            Error Information Handle: Not Provided
                            Total Width: 72 bits
                            Data Width: 64 bits
                            Size: 16384 MB
                            Form Factor: DIMM
                            Set: None
                            Locator: DIMM2
                            Bank Locator: Not Specified
                            Type: DDR4
                            Type Detail: Synchronous