BSOD crashes and memory errors new upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD crashes and memory errors new upgrade

I just purchased a Ryzen 5800X, 32 GB 3200 MHz CL16 memory and a MSI b550m pro VDH Wi-Fi motherboard.

everything seemed to be going fine during setup other than I needed to go in and manually set all the memory settings because of the XMP profile wasn't working, the system wouldn't boot.

Windows seem to install just fine everything seemed to run normally while installing software and everything up until I started trying to install flight simulator 2020 which is the entire reason why I built this new upgrade.

I started getting BSOD crashes with the error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR which after googling seem to point to a hardware issue.

So I downloaded memtest 86 onto USB stick and started testing.

at first I didn't notice this but I did after several times trying to test the system but mem test 86 keeps erroring out and crashing and rebooting the system when it gets to test 6 every single time, almost. I thought I may be had it sorted out because it made it to the end of one pass a couple times when I changed a few settings but when I ran it again it just crashed again at test six.

I've tested the system with a different set of memory modules and it crashes at the same point.

Is it a CPU issue? A motherboard issue? A power supply issue? I don't know what else to test.

everything seemed to be going fine during setup other than ......... the system wouldn't boot.
    Hmmmm. Maybe not fine

crashes with the error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    Also not fine.
    Yes, these are usually hardware faults.

after several times trying to test the system but Memtest86 keeps erroring out and crashing and rebooting
    Very much not fine.

You should never need to manually set memory timings unless you are overclocking. This points to the RAM or the motherboard BIOS being bad, or not yet supporting this RAM & CPU. If you have switched RAM already, then check for a BIOS upgrade. There was a BIOS release two weeks ago that claimed to fix "AMD SAM(SMART ACCESS MEMORY) function".

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post

You should never need to manually set memory timings unless you are overclocking. This points to the RAM or the motherboard BIOS being bad, or not yet supporting this RAM & CPU. If you have switched RAM already, then check for a BIOS upgrade. There was a BIOS release two weeks ago that claimed to fix "AMD SAM(SMART ACCESS MEMORY) function".
      When using the BIOS XMP memory profile, it did set the memory to the correct speed and timings, but it did not adjust the voltage to 1.35V from the default 1.2V, causing the system not to boot, so I had to manually set that voltage.

The Motherboard and CPU are compatible products, and the motherboard shipped with a BIOS updated for Zen 3 (5000) CPUs. I have however updated it to the newest version just because that's typically the best thing to do.

I have tested 3 different RAM sticks, with both or only single RAM stick installed, at their rated XMP profiles or defaults, and memtest86, if it failed, which was most of the time (and by fail I mean there would quickly be a row of red error text then the system would reboot), it failed immediately upon reaching Test #6. I was hoping someone might be able to explain a little further about what Test #6 does and how it varies from the previous tests.

Smart Access Memory is in relation to AMD GPU's being able to share their VRAM directly with the CPU. I am not using an AMD GPU, but regardless, I have that latest BIOS update installed anyway.

Comment

so I had to manually set that voltage.
        Should never be required. Either the SPD data in the RAM sticks is wrong. Or the BIOS is buggy.
        If by chance you were able to set all RAM parameters correctly (which is not trivial as there are often lots of them, unless BIOS hides them from you and you can't set them correctly), and then it still doesn't work, it is likely hardware failure.

Test descriptions can be found here
        https://www.memtest86.com/tech_indiv...est-descr.html

There is a collection of people complaining about a very similar problem with this board here
        https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?t...h-wifi.344757/
        and there are a bunch of other similar posts.

Comment

Thank you for the info and I will look into that forum.

Just in case you're able to make sense of any of this these are the errors I got from one of the passes.

Running test number 6
          MtSupportRunAllTests - Setting random seed to 0x 50415353
          MtSupportRunAllTests - start time: 269105 ms MtSupportRunAllTests - enabling memory cache for test
          MtSupportRunAllTests - enabling memory cache complete
          [MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 6 CPU: 14, Address: C63878, Expected: 00010040, Actual: 00038000

Then a bunch more repeated lines like that but with different memory addresses but all say CPU: 14

Comment

If you have tested a bunch of different RAM and they all fail, then either the CPU or motherboard are bad. I can't say with any certainty which one.

Comment

Working...
            X