Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a RAM, CPU or Motherboard error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a RAM, CPU or Motherboard error?

Hello all,

Recently my pc was having random freezing issues and I changed my CPU, RAM and Motherboard to help fix them but every time i change a part that i think is the issue, another issue comes up. I attached two photos for a test i just ran

My pc specs:
    OLD:
    CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
    RAM: Team Dark 16gb memory
    Mobo: gigabyte ab350m-gaming 3
    GPU: GTX 1060gb

I ran memtest with this and got 42 errors
    ​​​​​​
    I then changed my ram first to G.Skill Flare x 3200mhz (2x8gb)

And ran memtest again and this time 0 errors

After that I thought everything was okay but my pc was still freezing so i RMA'd the motherboard and turned out it was faulty so I upgraded to Gigabyte B450 Aurous Elite V2 and ran memtest again, this time also 0 errors

This time the pc wouldn't even boot so i suspected the old motherboard Might have ruined my cpu or i accidentally bent a pin while reseating. I confirmed this with a friend's cpu that worked perfectly with my new mobo so I changed my CPU to Ryzen 5 2600.

This time I didn't get freezes but instead would get a combo of 3 BSOD's:
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
    and
    0xc000021a

Ran memtest again and got 400+ errors :/

I am so confused since everything was working fine before and I changed virtually nothing but the cpu and now this. Could this be the CPU or what exactly is it I am extremely confused. I use this pc for my work and it's already been two months without it and I'm starting to struggle using my old laptop as a substitute

If this isn't the right place to do so because I am very confused right now
    Attached Files

It does look like bad RAM.
    Can you test 1 stick at a time.
    Or try underclocking the RAM in BIOS. (e.g. turn off XMP)

Would be rather strange to have two bad sets of RAM, a bad motherboard and a bad CPU.
    What PSU is in the machine?
    Had any lighting storms lately?

Comment

I Did try testing one stick at a time, first stick returned no errors but the second stick returned 1 error 1st test and 11 errors second test. I stopped after that since i was told 1 error is already too much. I now disabled XMP and am running both sticks again and so far no errors.

PSU is Season S12II 520W, i also tried a corsair 1000w psu before at a local shop and same errors happened so I doubt it's a PSU issue. Also no power surges recently since I haven't even plugged the pc in for 2 months while i was waiting for the new parts

Comment

Update:
        1st test finished with XMP off and returned 0 errors. It's getting pretty late here so I'll probably leave this overnight and update once it's done. I'll also try to test the second stick (one with 11 errors) with XMP off and update tomorrow as well

Comment

If turning off XMP (thus lowering the clock speed) does in fact fix it the RAM must be marginal in that motherboard. e.g the RAM vendor was overly optimistic about the speeds possible, or the BIOS in the motherboard is setting the wrong values (e.g. wrong voltage levels for that clock speed).

On the plus side lowering the RAM clock speed a bit probably won't have a huge performance hit.

Comment

Turning off XMP did in fact return no errors with both RAM sticks. So what should I do now? I saw in the updates changelog for my Motherboard that they fixed memory compatibility issues, i guess updating the BIOS should be my first step. I will update once I do that.

I don't know if the motherboard is setting the wrong timings, Ill send a picture and please tell me if that's the case and I can just manually change them.
            Attached Files

Comment

What to do next depends on how much time you have and if a slight performance drop (from no XMP) actually matters.

Upgrade BIOS and retest with XMP is one option.
              Try to get tech support from vendors is another.
              Manually tuning memory settings in BIOS is another (but this is what the manufacturers should be doing and they have more expertise and equipment than you)
              Borrow different RAM to try is another.
              Replace it all as faulty is another.

Comment

Working...
              X