Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent freezing on Memtest86 test 13 - Hammer Test

Hi all,

I'm using memtest86 v8.4 to test the ram in my new system. The system has 32 GB(2x16) corsair vengeance LPX 3600MHZ C18(18-22-22-42) and XMP is enabled so it is running at that speed. I am also using a ryzen 9 5900x, no overclock or such.

The issue is that when running memtest I get through most of the tests pretty fast and it's all responsive up to test13, the hammer test, where the program seems to freeze for chunks of 2 minutes at a time. i.e. The time counter freezes for 2 minutes and then jumps forward. I can see the test progressing, i.e. it is going through different addresses(albeit with jumps every 2 minutes) etc. but it just seems like the front end freezes for minutes at a time and then jumps forward. And the test itself is very slow, after 20 minutes of test13 it was only up to 2% progress of that step. To note to this point there were 0 memory errors found.

Has anybody else experienced this or has any ideas? I have stress tested every other component in the system and everything seems good. The only thought I had was maybe CPU was heating up and throttling the speed, but there is no fan ramp up, and air coming off the cooler is pretty cool( not scientific but seems okay). And additionally the MemTest86 UI isn't displaying the CPU temperature for me, which seems to be related to these messages in the logs 2021-01-09 11:23:59 - GetAMDCPUTemps - Unsupported AMD CPU (Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD 19 21 0), assume it's because it's newest ryzen?

Any advice or help is appreciated, Cheers!

Full system specs:

Ryzen 9 5900x - no overclock
    Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler
    32GB(2x16) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHZ C18(18-22-22-42)
    Gigabyte Aorus b550 pro ac motherboard(running latest bios revision availabile from Gigabyte)
    Nvidia GTX 750 ti(picked off an old dell system so don't even know if it's AIB etc.)
    Corsair AX850 PSU

Test 13 row hammer test puts a heavy load in the memory subsystem, especially if multiple cores/threads are used. In additional, recent memory controllers/DDR memory have added mitigation techniques for detecting and preventing row hammer attacks (TRR/pTRR). This may have also have a performance impact on memory accesses.

So it is not unusual to see a few seconds of lag, though 2 minutes for the UI to update is quite long.

If you are running in parallel CPU mode, try running in single CPU mode to see if there is any effect.

Also, can you post a copy of the MemTest86.log found under EFI\BOOT\ of the USB flash drive.

Comment

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply! I actually tried this morning with a different USB stick, as the previous stick was an old USB 2.0 stick. The new one is a USB-C so much faster, and the program is now running very smooth. I hadn't realised that the USB speed would have such an effect on it so this is now resolved. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
      X