Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 (5.1.0) Fails on Multi-Core

Here is my setup:

Machine just arrived yesterday, I haven't updated the BIOS, I assume it's up to date as the last ASUS update was in May, it's October. All settings are default out of the box. I have memtest86 running off a USB drive, the machine itself has 1 SSD, and 6 4TB HDs (using a SATA PCie card).

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
    Crucial 16gb (2x8GB) ECC DDR3 SDRAM CT2KIT102472BD160B
    AMD FX 4-Core Black Edition FX-4300

The issue:

When I run memtest86 (5.1.0) in default setup, basically 1 core, 4 passes, it runs fine. However when I change the setting to Parallel or Round Robin all 4 CPUs it fails. It hard crashes, no keyboard, have to power-off/on. It crashes on test #1, within 15-20 secs.
    If I specify a core that is not 0 (basically 1,2 or 3), it doesn't hard crash but basically just hangs on test #1, the timer keeps running but nothing on the screen changes (waited 10 minutes).

Question:
    Bad hardware? Or software? Or this is some setting I have to worry about? Never ran into an issue where if the memory meets mobo specs it doesn't just 'work'. Could that be what is happening here?

It looks like it could be an issue with the UEFI BIOS firmware. We'll need to have a look at the logs to see if that's the case. Can you upload or e-mail us the MemTest86.log file under EFI\BOOT of your USB drive.

Comment

Emailed. I played with the BIOS a little, it no longer hard hangs on parrallel, timer just keeps going. However it does hard hang on Round Robin.

Comment

I have the same problem. My setup is:
        ASUS M5A99FX PRO 2.0
        AMD FX 8350
        Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 2 8GB MODULES
        I have updated the BIOS.
        I started with this problem back in August. I got so frustrated that I have let the system sit for 2 months.
        What I have tried to date is:
        swapped out motherboard
        swapped memory and went with slower RAM 1866 reduced to 1600
        swapped CPU from an FX 8320 to FX 8350
        Tried the stock and Noctua coolers
        Tested for motherboard grounding.
        The only thing left to exchange is the Corsair RM 550 power supply but I have no indication that there is a problem with it.

I tried memtest 5.1.0 and then went to the previous version. When testing any of the 8 processors as single processors everything tests fine. When I try any of the multi-processor test it hangs. in the 2nd or 3rd test depending on which one I run. I end up having to do a hard boot.

I have also tried Prime and it bombs with that as well. I would be happy to send logs just let me know how.

Comment

What problems are you experiencing that make you suspect that there are issues with the RAM (eg. blue screen, freeze, etc...)

Yes, what you're describing in MemTest86 does seem to indicate an issue with the UEFI BIOS. If this is the case, it is likely that ASUS hasn't addressed it (or has deemed it low priority). Please upload or e-mail us the MemTest86.log file so we can have a closer look.

Comment

Working...
          X