Four slots shown, but reporting only two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four slots shown, but reporting only two

Can anyone explain why memtest shows my 4 sticks (each identical 16gb), but reports only 32gb? My BIOS reports 64gb.

I have the same problem in windows. Cpu-z and speccy also see four slots in use, but report 32gb. Task manager says 2 of 4 slots in use.

​​​​​

My guess would be that the RAM is visible via the SMBus but not functional (or intermittently functional) via the memory bus.

First step would be to re-seat the RAM. (Remove the RAM and re-insert it a few times, gentle). This might clean up the contacts and make a better electrical connection.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      My guess would be that the RAM is visible via the SMBus but not functional (or intermittently functional) via the memory bus.

First step would be to re-seat the RAM. (Remove the RAM and re-insert it a few times, gentle). This might clean up the contacts and make a better electrical connection.
      I will try that, but I have taken them out, swapped them all around many times. This time, I will really pay close attention to how they are seated. Not hopeful though...

Comment

No luck. Swapped sticks around in the slots, examined pins, made sure sticks were well seated in the slots. BIOS shows 64gb. But only 32gb is available just as before.

Comment

See if there is newer BIOS firmware available for the motherboard.

Comment

See if there is newer BIOS firmware available for the motherboard.
            I am running the latest firmware.

Here's some more info. In Windows, If I run memtest64, and I have memory installed in slots 0 and 2, it reports memory in slots 1 & 3.

If I put it in slots 1 & 3, memtest64 reports them in 0 & 2. If I put in all 4 slots, it reports them only in 0 & 2.

BIOS still reports the correct totals.

Comment

MemTest64 isn't our software. I don't know what it does or how it works internally.

If possible I would test the RAM in another motherboard.

Comment

MemTest64 isn't our software. I don't know what it does or how it works internally.

If possible I would test the RAM in another motherboard.

I know. That was just additional data to help diagnose the problem. I am primarily using the Passmark software. All sticks function properly.

Comment

gmarch you could try one stick at a time, maybe two of the sticks are de@d?

could try punching in the voltage manually too, and xmp on and off

also what does it say the amount is in task manager under memory

- just adding my two cents

Comment

Originally posted by SignedAdam View Post
                    gmarch you could try one stick at a time, maybe two of the sticks are de@d?

could try punching in the voltage manually too, and xmp on and off

also what does it say the amount is in task manager under memory

- just adding my two cents
                    Thanks... I did that. All sticks are fine. Slots 0 & 2 work fine alone. Slots 1 & 3 work fine alone. All 4 do not. Very strange...

Comment

If this is a old system it’s highly likely the cpu isn’t socketed correctly, I’ve had this issue happen multiple times on an x79 platform for ivy bridge.

I never did figure out what it was exactly, could be the traces around the socket being pressed down on by the mount your using for the cpu cooler, that then lead to the ram slots disconnecting, or the cpu not making contact with some of the socket pins correctly, could even be the ram it’s self, lots of odd things happen when a system gets old

Comment

What's the motherboard model?
                        Maybe it is a known problem with that motherboard (or it is just faulty).

Comment

What's the motherboard model?
                          Maybe it is a known problem with that motherboard (or it is just faulty).
                          Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H fully updated with a Kaby Lake i7 (I forget exactly which one, but it's on the supported list and has been working fine)

Comment

I did a quick search. I didn't find anyone else with this motherboard with the same problem. So probably not a design flaw. But on the other hand, this is a 5 year old motherboard and not many people were using 64GB 5 years ago (0.1% of people to be exact). So it is a rare config.

Comment

I did a quick search. I didn't find anyone else with this motherboard with the same problem. So probably not a design flaw. But on the other hand, this is a 5 year old motherboard and not many people were using 64GB 5 years ago (0.1% of people to be exact). So it is a rare config.

Thanks... I know this discussion has gone a little outside memtest86. Appreciate the help... I'll keep looking for a solution.

Comment

Working...
                              X