Memory speed is posting wrong MHz.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory speed is posting wrong MHz.

I own an Asrock B450M Pro4 v1.0 and an AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT and Corsair 32GB (2x16) Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 MHz (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16).

I Upgrade to the latest BIOS before the 5000 series CPUs. (4.30), as recommended by my call to Asrock tech support.

I then set XMP to profile 1 and reboot. It shows 3,200 MHz, but after some random time (maybe even a week) it will crash and be laggy/stuttery. I look in BIOS and my memory is back to 2133 MHz.

I try to manually set them after crashing too often. But My BIOS won't go past 1.300v. If I go past, it just reverts back to 1.300v But XMP shows 1.35v and is red.

So, I download memtest86 and start a test for Corsair to make sure my RAM is fine. It is still at 2133, but memtest says it is at 3,200MHz.

I think it is just reading the speed, but not not posting my true RAM speed that I set. How can I see my true speed of my memory.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Answer from 2021: MemTest86 always reports the max capabilities of the RAM (as specified in the RAM stick itself, via SPD data).
    It doesn't report the current RAM clock speed selected by BIOS (which might be higher or lower than what the RAM claims to support).

Update June 2023: From release V10.5 the current RAM clock speed in Megatransfers/Sec (MT/Sec) is displayed for some CPU models. At the moment this list is the following CPUs: AMD Ryzen Zen 1/2/3/4, Intel Skylake, Kaby Lake, Alder Lake & Raptor Lake. We expect to add additional CPUs in the future. We also display the current timings in use, the voltage level and if the RAM is running in dual channel mode.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      MemTest86 always reports the max capabilities of the RAM (as specified in the RAM stick itself, via SPD data).
      It doesn't report the current RAM clock speed selected by BIOS (which might be higher or lower than what the RAM claims to support).
      Is there plans to have this put back, like it used to. It is confusing as I can't tell if XMP is enabled or now. Plus Corsair wants me to run this and send them a report. I want t make sure it is correct.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by put back. There is nothing to put back as MemTest86 never reported anything else.

But there are memory benchmark tests, reported in MB/sec, in Memtest86. These MB/sec number will be influenced by the clock speed, latencies, channel setup and CPU however. If you want to know the current clock speed, check in BIOS.

Comment

Working...
        X