Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BSODs so frequent that I can't even install windows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSODs so frequent that I can't even install windows.

Hello,

My specs :
    CPU - AMD RYZEN 5 3600
    GPU - ZOTAC GTX 1660 TI (6 GB)
    RAM - TEAM GROUP T-FORCE DELTA RGB 3000 MHZ ( 8X2 )
    MOBO - GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WIFI
    BOOT DRIVE - ADATA XPG S40G 512GB NVME M.2
    HDD - WD BLUE 1 TB
    SSD - ADATA SU650 (240GB)
    PSU - CORSAIR VS 650

It all started two weeks from now. I was working on after effects that night before. Everything seemed pretty normal. So after I was done with my project, I switched off my system normally & went to sleep. The next day when I tried to boot my rig, it wouldn't even POST. My rig is almost 1.2 years old & it's my first time facing such an error.

So I took my entire rig to the shop where I got it built from. He pointed out that my mobo is at fault. So I sent it for RMA. Got a call from the technician & he said that it was a bios failure & all they did was to update the bios to the latest version & everything was working fine. I received the same mobo. I didn't receive a completely new unit since it wasn't that big of an issue that can't be rectified, according to them. After I received the mobo, I tried re-installing a fresh Windows 10 OS from a bootable pen drive. Every single time, the system would encounter a different BSOD amidst the setup & the whole PC restarted all over again.

I assumed my RAM could've been faulty all along so I ran memtest86. Got almost over 30K+ errors when I used my 8X2 3000mhz DDR4 sticks in dual channel (@ 2400mhz & 1.2, No XMP). So, in order to narrow down & encounter the actual faulty ram or ram slot, I started running memtest86 in this sequence.

DIMM 1 only
    a) Slot DDR4_4 = 0 errors
    b) Slot DDR4_2 = 107 errors
    c) Slot DDR4_3 = Test aborted due to too many errors
    d) Slot DDR4_1 = 67 errors

DIMM 2 only
    a) Slot DDR4_4 = 32 errors
    b) Slot DDR4_2 = Test aborted due to too many errors
    c) Slot DDR4_3 = Test aborted due to too many errors
    d) Slot DDR4_1 = 164 errors

Running them in Dual channel in every possible sequence aborted the test due to too many errors.

Things I've tried but failed:
    1. Testing every possible sequence of RAM placement.
    2. Tried different Nvme or SSD to install the OS in.
    3. Tried using a different build/version of windows 10.
    4. Tried to setup windows using different bootable USB drives.
    5. Tried replacing the suspected faulty RAMs with a working known ones from my friend.
    6. Even tried booting to ubuntu from a bootable drive but it always freezed.

Even when I ran the memtest86 on my friend's working RAM it showed some significant amount of errors. Also I'm yet to try my processor with a different B450 mobo. I doubt if the CPU has failed for some some reason but I never have had any issues with the CPU earlier. Rarely had some minor BSODs once in a month before the complete bios failure, but they were fixed when I updated my pending drivers or windows updates, so I never paid enough attention.

The technician asked me to try swapping the processor for a different one but none of my contacts have a compatible Ryzen processor & even if they've, but are not willing to risk. That's what I guess.

So I'm assuming it's my motherboard once again which is the main culprit & I should apply for a completely new mobo than a refurbished one & see if the problem still persist. Or maybe it's just an unstable bios issue ? I can't really figure out.

I'm tired & it's happening amidst my exams. Me & my parents have invested a fortune building this rig & all of this falling apart in a mere 1 year duration is heart breaking. Please guide me through this. What else can I do to troubleshoot the problem or atleast find out the faulty component ?

Clearly there is a hardware fault.

It is unlikely both of your RAM sticks went faulty at the same time and in the same way. It is even more unlikely that your friend's RAM suddenly went faulty as well, also at the same time.
    So while MemTest86 reports RAM errors you have pretty much eliminated the RAM as the cause. To read data from RAM the motherboard and the CPU need to be working in a stable fashion (as does the power supply and power regulation on the motherboard).

Given that you won't have any high end diagnostic gear (like a DDR4 bus protocol analyzer or power supply testers) you are probably back to trial and error. CPUs are more complex than the motherboard's memory bus (which is basically just wires, a connector and power regulation). So I think it is more likely the CPU is bad.

There are a lot of CPUs that can work in that motherboard. If the local shop won't lend you one, maybe buy a cheap Ryzen 3 for testing, then sell if afterwards (if you don't need it).

Comment

Hey David. Thank you for responding. I'm suspecting of the same now. It has to be the CPU or the Motherboard. The CPU never have had any issues whatsoever. So, it is difficult on my part believing that it could go ruckus over night. Still I've tried to contact some corporate level desktop builders who are willing to at least checkout my components. Maybe the CPU is having trouble & writing nothing but garbage to the DIMMs which is why I'm seeing multiple errors at almost every other slot even with a apparently known functional RAM stick. Any chances it's not the CPU but the unstable bios that's creating all the nuisance ? I saw a video on YouTube where a B450 mobo was behaving the same way as mine & the guy ruled out it was the faulty bios which when he updated solved the entire problem. Still, I'll update this thread once I get my CPU and motherboard re-checked. Thank you.

Comment

It costs nothing (except a small amount of time) to update the BIOS. But it is hard to imagine how it could go bad overnight and still pass secure boot and boot up.

Comment

I couldn't make out what the problem was. So, I've sent both the Motherboard and the Processor for RMA. I will update this thread if I get my PC working again. Thank you David for all the guidance.

Comment

Working...
          X