Display problems on new 9.0 Free Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display problems on new 9.0 Free Edition

When I boot this new 9.0 release from USB on my Thinkpad T550, it acts as if there are no fonts found. I'm attaching a screenshot of that.

When I boot on my ProBook 450 G6, I can actually see text but the icons are still the "ugly" ones you see in the T550's screenshot. Looks nothing like 9.0-beta2 did.

I was first copying the image to my usb stick via dd in linux, but now I have also tried using your ImageUSB tool from Win10, and it still has the same problem.

Is this a problem on my end or is there a problem with this release?
    Attached Files

And here is what it looks like on the ProBook
    Attached Files

Comment

I booted 9.0_beta2 and 9.0 in qemu and you can see the difference. They do both have working fonts/text though.
      Attached Files

Comment

Can you send us a debug log from the Thinkpad T550 (or post a link to it in the forum here)
        https://www.memtest86.com/tech_debug-logs.html

Comment

Here is the log. When I try to boot memtest86 via usb it does not seem to be able to write the logs successfully, so I have copied BOOTX64.EFI to memtest86-bin.efi on my ESP and booted from there.

However, the display glitch does happen regardless of where I have booted it from.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the logs.

It appears the new configuration to allow changing the screen resolution revealed a bug with some UEFI BIOS (Thinkpad, seemingly) when displaying text.

We made a possible fix to workaround the issue. Can you give this build a try:

https://www.passmark.com/temp/memtes...b-9.0.1001.zip

Comment

This does indeed fix text on my thinkpad! The rest of the graphics are still pretty ugly though, like they are using 16 colors instead of 256 or whatever the previous version had. Is that an expected change?

That part, I'm able to reproduce everywhere-- thinkpad, probook, qemu.

Comment

Originally posted by bkohler View Post
                This does indeed fix text on my thinkpad! The rest of the graphics are still pretty ugly though, like they are using 16 colors instead of 256 or whatever the previous version had. Is that an expected change?.
                Yes, thanks for pointing it out.

There was an issue with handling the transparency channel of the images. This should be fixed by the next release.

Click image for larger version

Name:	icons.png
Views:	215
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	50037

Comment

This new build 2000 does have working text on my thinkpad, but still the icons are ugly everywhere I test... tested on thinkpad, thinkcentre, and in qemu.

Should I open a new thread?

Comment

Can you post an image / photo, maybe ugly is normal.

Comment

My previous comment #3 shows the good vs ugly, is anyone still getting the "good" icons anymore?

I got them back in beta2

Comment

They look like Post #8 above for us. And this is how they are meant to look in the final release.

Comment

Ok thanks, it just surprised me that it changed so drastically between a beta and the final release. Looks like all is well.

Comment

Working...
                          X