Is my CPU causing my RAM errors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my CPU causing my RAM errors?

FYI: Homebuilt system, z370 Core I7, 16GB ram for a few years. Always acted a little flaky but good performance. This week updated to RTX 3090, from 16 to 48GB gskill ram, and PCIe SSD boot drive. Higher performance, but a bit flakier even than before, so thinking maybe the new ram, so ran memtest86.

Results were I think 784 errors. Skimming through the log it looks like they were all on CPU 2 and CPU 10. Does this indicate that my CPU or maybe mobo is bad and not the RAM, since the errors were not across all CPU cores but only the two?

Log file is like 2Mb so too large to upload as is. Any part of it that I should copy out and upload?

I just spent about 3k in upgrades, thinking maybe time for updated CPU and mobo also, what do you guys think?

I would initially assume it is bad RAM. See
    https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      I would initially assume it is bad RAM. See
      https://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm
      Thank you, David, for the reply. I did already see where you linked to that in reply to another recent OP. Though I think it didn't address the not-all-cores aspect, can't hurt to try mem modules individually. I guess I just figured if it was obviously upstream of the memory, due to only 2 cores erring, then I'd save the time of running the test 4 or more times, which is time consuming, but not the end of the world. I'll give it a try. Only 2 cores seems like a strong hint to me, though obviously I'm not an expert in this niche.

Comment

You can't test the RAM without using the CPU. So all RAM failures will by definition involve a CPU core, or several CPU cores. You didn't post the test report, but if the errors were is a small area of the RAM, then not all CPU cores will be involved in testing that part of the RAM.

Comment

I was figuring all processors (well 6 of 12) were used testing the ram, so if only 2 cores resulted in errors then it hints at two bad cores. But now obviously not, congruent with your suggestion, as right now testing one of my older modules, it made it through the first pass with no errors. Time will tell from here. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
            You can't test the RAM without using the CPU. So all RAM failures will by definition involve a CPU core, or several CPU cores. You didn't post the test report, but if the errors were is a small area of the RAM, then not all CPU cores will be involved in testing that part of the RAM.
            Thanks again David. Testing individually, It turned out that one of my original 8GB modules was loaded with errors after the first one tested fine. I now left that one out, with 3 modules for 40GB remaining and it seems to be working very nicely now.

Comment

Glad you solved it.

Comment

Working...
              X