• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 crashes with XMP Profile

I recently built a new computer including the following components:

Aorus X570 Master
    Ryzen 9 3900X

The first set of RAM I bought ran fine at 2133Mhz. Once I enabled XMP in the Bios I got crashes while playing games (particularly Cyberpunk 2077), but otherwise the Windows was stable. So I ran Memtest86 and the system would shut down and restart once it got to test 4 or test 5 (seems random). After playing with RAM timings manually and getting similar results I double checked that the RAM I ordered was on the QVL list for the Motherboard. It wasn't, not sure how that happened. So I ordered RAM that was on the QVL list.

Unfortunately, I've encountered the same issues with the new RAM. It's very stable at 2133Mzh and easily passes 4 passes of Memtest86 at that speed. However, once I enable the XMP profile, while Windows is stable, and it passes the Windows Memory Diagnostic, it crashes Memtest86 and it crashes out of games that use a lot of resources. And it's once again around test 4.

Could this be a hardware problem other than the RAM?

Having two sets of bad RAM that fail in the same way is unlikely.
    It shouldn't really be required to stick to RAM on the QVL list unless you are pushing it to the bleeding edge (which 2133Mhz isn't). Often the QVL lists offer a small selection of RAM and out of date as well. There should also be no need to manually adjust RAM timings, that what BIOS is for (to do it automatically for you).

Update the BIOS's firmware.

There have been reports of elevated numbers of Ryzen CPUs failing. Including more than usual in our forum here. So can't rule out a bad CPU.
    But the performance difference between 2133Mhz and whatever the XMP is, probably isn't much.

Comment

Working...
    X