Dual-Boot Systems Ok to run Memtest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual-Boot Systems Ok to run Memtest?

I can not get Memtest86 v5.1 to work with my dual-boot (W7 & Windows XP) computer.

I get into the "Boot Screen" (F12) and scroll to CDROM & press Enter, and it continues the set up into the Dual-Boot Option screen, then boots as usual from that.

The CDROM that I've burnt with Memtest86 V5.1 works well in both my W7 Laptop and my Window XP Desktop, so the CDROM has burnt properly.

I have also failed in booting via USB drive using V5.1 on this Dual Boot System & also a previous CDROM from November 2006 which contained an old version of Memtest86, not sure which version, which did used to work for this computer running Windows XP before I created a dual-boot.

I understand that on the notes from V5.0 reads, "Dual boot with Memtest version 4 for supporting older systems without UEFI. So with a single USB or CD drive both UEFI systems and BIOS systems can be supported."

Any suggestions with what I can do?
    I have recently brought some new RAM and want to check it's working well.

With Thanks,

James

My Computer:
    MAINBOARD: Gigabyte X58 motherboard UD5 (July 2009)
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2.66GHz QUAD CORE (8 threads HT)
    RAM: OCZ Gold Series PC3 12800 1600MHz 8-8-8 RAM

OS: Window 7 Home Premium 64 bit & Windows XP SP 3 (32 bit)
    Last edited by jamestinney; Dec-13-2014, 01:42 PM.

The specs for the X58 UD5 don't mention UEFI, so I assume this is just running traditional BIOS.

As such you won't be able to boot into V5 or V6 of MemTest86. But the the CDROM and USB also contain a copy of V4 of MemTest86, it should boot into V4.

Maybe the CD drive isn't working?
    I don't think this has anything to do with dual boot. If the BIOS is working correctly it should boot from the CD drive without even accessing the hard drive.

You could try unplugging the hard drive.

Comment

Thanks David. I'll have a look, James

Comment

Working...
      X