Test #7 errors only in memtest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test #7 errors only in memtest

So I recently ran the most recent free version of memtest and received only 1 error total which was in test 7. Is this an indication of bad ram or something else?

Yes, it is likely bad RAM.

How long did you leave it running for (number of passes)?

But with such an infrequent error, you might only notice it only very rarely in normal usage of the machine. Does the machine appear stable in normal use?

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Yes, it is likely bad RAM.

How long did you leave it running for (number of passes)?

But with such an infrequent error, you might only notice it only very rarely in normal usage of the machine. Does the machine appear stable in normal use?
      No, I receive a lot of memory management bsods and irql not less than or equal to.
      I also managed to forget to mention I'm testing the 2nd stick of ram right now in a dual channel kit

I leave it for 4 passes

Comment

I tested the 2nd stick and memtest crashed shortly into the start of the 4th pass, the test at that point had only 1 error which was in test #3. Any suggestions?

Comment

Bad RAM can causes crashes.
          Replace the stick and see how it goes.

Comment

Alright the RAM isn't on the QVL for my motherboard, do you recommend buying a new kit from the QVL or having the manufacturer replace my current set?

Comment

I find the QVLs pretty useless most of the time. Often they aren't keep up to date. So it can be a problem finding RAM that is actually available in stores from the list (especially for older motherboards).

Best option would be to borrow some RAM from a known good machine to 100% confirm it is the RAM that is bad.

Comment

It may also occur that a vendor changes the memory IC's he is using for the modules, without changing the part number.
                I would only rely on these lists, if I would be building OEM systems.

Before purchasing do a quick search if someone else is running it successfully with your board.
                Some combinations are known to not work well together.

Comment

Working...
                X