Memtest86 vs Memtest86+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 vs Memtest86+

I installed 2 x 8 GB 2400 RAM on my AsRock Z77 PRO3 (which says 2800+(OC))
    I cannot get the ram to run faster than 1800 which is a real bummer.
    But I ran Memory tests using both programs:
    First Memtest86+ (with the +):
    - test 8 or 9 kept repeating so I skipped and manually went on to the rest, when I got to test 11 (bit fade test, 2 patterns), when I noticed, there was over 900,000 errors and still counting. Now here is the thing, I searched for similar situations and someone said something about the test failed because it was started manually and not in order (he stopped the test too and then continued), and because the test was interupted and skipped to the end, part of the program required was not run.
    - So, I ran Memtest86 (with no +):
    - and the entire test finished with no errors at all.
    It seems pretty fishy that one would pick up almost a million errors and the other not pick up any, so I am thinking it might be faulty software. Any ideas?
    Last edited by McD; Jan-09-2015, 10:40 PM.

MemTest86 (without the plus) is the original RAM testing tool.

MemTest86+ isn't being maintained at the moment. No one is doing customer support, nor fixing the numerous issues that have been reported, nor adding support for new hardware. We don't provide support for the + version. But yes, I believe there were bugs in some releases if you ran each test at a time and not in sequence.

MemTest86 includes a lot of new features that aren't available MemTest86+. Including DDR4 support, UEFI support, writing logs to disk, fully 64bit code, additional RAM tests, benchmarking, row hammer testing and more.

We do support the original MemTest86 release, and I would think the result of zero errors is accurate (or at least more accurate than 900,000 errors).

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      MemTest86 (without the plus) is the original RAM testing tool.

MemTest86+ isn't being maintained at the moment. No one is doing customer support, nor fixing the numerous issues that have been reported, nor adding support for new hardware. We don't provide support for the + version. But yes, I believe there were bugs in some releases if you ran each test at a time and not in sequence.

We do support the original MemTest86 release, and I would think the result of zero errors is accurate (or at least more accurate than 900,000 errors).
      Thanks man. I feel safe with your opinion. Have a great weekend!

Comment

Running Memtest86+ on system with 4 x 32 GB of G.Skill RAM. I removed 2 dimms from Slots 1 and 3. Pass 1 gave Banner "Pass" with no errors. How many passes do I need?
        Thanks, Johanna

Comment

We are not the developers of the "+" version. And so can't provide support for it.

MemTest86 (without the plus) is the original RAM testing tool and the one we develop and support.

Comment

Working...
          X