Blue Screen after booting into Memtest CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Screen after booting into Memtest CD

Completely new to this, obviously don't know what I'm doing. I've created the Memtest Bootable CD for my Mac Pro 2.8 8 core 12 GB ram. I boot into it holding the C key and as soon as I get a menu I press any key before it loads the default. But no matter which option I choose as soon as I hit enter it just goes to a blue screen with flashing cursor on both my displays. Can anyone help a newbie here?

Which version of MemTest86 are you trying to run? (v5.1.0? v6 beta 3?)

Have you tried booting from a USB stick? The advantage of running from USB is that a log file is generated, so it is easier to diagnose problems such as this.

Comment

Hi Keith, I'm trying to make a bootable USB stick as you suggested but keep getting a "no such file or directory" error. What am I missing? I am using the latest free version of the Mac download. I have attached a screenshot of my terminal window with the error.

Thanks for your help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Terminal screenshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	34916

Comment

You need to specify the location of 'memtest86-usb.img' in the 'dd if=memtest86-usb.img ...' command after extracting the contents of the memtest86-usb.tar.gz. You are getting the error because it is looking for the 'memtest86-usb.img' in your current directory but wasn't unable to find it.

Comment

Working...
        X