MemTest86 V6 Problems - DZ77RE-75K Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MemTest86 V6 Problems - DZ77RE-75K Motherboard

I have been trying out the free version of MemTest86 V6.00. If I set CPU selection to Sequential it locks up about 6% into Test 2.

If I set CPU selection to Round Robin the first pass runs fine (all 13 test no errors) but as soon as it starts the 2nd pass it locks up on test 0 at 0%.

Parallel Test runs fine and with no memory errors (all 13 test).

Single CPU test runs fine also.

MemTest86 still does not show the correct Turbo Speed. I know I reported this during the Beta. Not really a big deal. Maybe it is just something that my CPU doesn't kick into Turbo mode with whatever operating system MemTest86 runs in (probably Linux).

Intel DZ77RE-75K motherboard, Intel i7 2600K CPU and 32GB and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9Q-32GBXL. NO overclocking of any kind.

Thank you for your time....

Often lockups are UEFI / BIOS bugs.
    So to start with check if there is a firmware update available for the motherboard.

Is the behavior exactly repeatable? i.e. it stops at 6% in Test2

Are you really sure you are running V6? I had a look at the specs of the motherboard, and the specs talked about BIOS (not UEFI). And V6 only works on UEFI systems. Maybe you are running V4.

Comment

Yes, I read where lockups when running MemTest86 with multiple cores (Sequential, Round Robin, etc...) was cause by UEFI BIOS bugs. That was my thinking.

Yes, I am sure I am running V6. My BIOS is UEFI, but I think Intel calls it Visual BIOS. It's an older board and the last firmware update Intel had for this board was in May 2013 (which I have installed). Don't think Intel supports this board anymore, so I don't see any future BIOS updates.

Yes, On the Sequential test it locks up ever time at 6% into Test 2. Tried turning off Hypertheading, but that didn't help.

I did turn off the UEFI Boot in the BIOS and booted into V4 of MemTest86 and it ran the Sequential test and Round Robin fine.

Like you said, I think it may be a some problems with the UEFI BIOS.

Comment

I did some more searching. It seems the UEFI implementation on this motherboard at least partially bad.

These posts,
        https://communities.intel.com/message/161528
        https://communities.intel.com/message/161740
        Claims no Linux distro will boot in UEFI mode. Hard to know if this is same issue stopping MemTest86, but it does confirm that they weren't very diligent in their UEFI testing and maintenance.

Comment

Thanks for doing that searching. The BIOS has always been a little flaky, but it does seem to run Windows pretty good. Like I said, I have the latest BIOS which is from almost 2 years ago. So I don't see Intel having any future BIOS updates for this board. So I guess we will say the BIOS is most likely the problem with this board and MemTest86.

Comment

You can try to write an email to Intel and ask if there is a newer version available.
            People had success this way with some other vendors like MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte and so on.

Wish you good luck
            Please share the results if you were successful.

Comment

Working...
            X